Pricing

This beta forum will be closed soon. Please post in the regular forum for SoftMaker Office 2016 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

Gabor Szots

Pricing

Post by Gabor Szots » Sun May 17, 2015 9:26 am

I was a bit surprised at the price (100 euros) which is almost 4 times the price I paid for SM Office 2012. Now the price is about 70 % of the price of MS Office, which makes me wonder if I should not choose the latter one.
Will there be not a discount for SM Office 2012 owners?

skeleton

Re: Pricing

Post by skeleton » Sun May 17, 2015 10:11 am

I hope there will be also standard version available, which should be cheaper, especially for 2012 version users.

ckit

Post by ckit » Sun May 17, 2015 1:46 pm

I agree about the pricing, it's a shock but I won't be going back to Microsoft Office any time soon.
The extra fonts are tempting but not if there is a Standard version with upgrade pricing being held back?

The SoftMaker 2016 beta page does not point out the differences between Standard and Professional versions unless of course the Standard version is now gone and only Pro exists.

Giving your users only 48 hours to act on limited information with a small carrot doesn't look good at all.

romraptor

Post by romraptor » Sun May 17, 2015 4:02 pm

I don't think the price is that high for what you actually get. However, since SMO is a competitor to MSO, a strong selling point disappears if the prices are too close.

Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots » Sun May 17, 2015 4:16 pm

In fact I have just searched for MSO prices and I can buy a one-user MSO for only 7% more than SMO. Practically the same! SMO may give me a licence for 3 machines but I need only one so that is not a factor. I would welcome a one-user licence for less price.

BearPup

Post by BearPup » Sun May 17, 2015 5:55 pm

Call me selfish, but I would think / hope that as participants in the Beta testing that there would be some financial 'reward' for our efforts and willingness to be guinea pigs. I would also hope / think that there would be pricing for Not-For-Profit organizations

Are you listening SoftMaker?

Regards,
BearPup

JohnbCallander

Post by JohnbCallander » Sun May 17, 2015 7:37 pm

Just to say there is an upgrade lower price £43.40 instead of £72.40 in UK

Jossi

Post by Jossi » Sun May 17, 2015 10:23 pm

The 100 euro price (99.95 €) is for new customers only. The upgrade price is 59.95 €, for SoftMaker Office Professional. And in the German forum it was announced by SoftMaker that in about ten days there will also be an upgrade offer for SoftMaker Office Standard at a lower price. (And, by the way, if you don't own SoftMaker Office 2012 you can still get the upgrade price by downloading FreeOffice first and upgrading from there.)
Last edited by Jossi on Sun May 17, 2015 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TonyDaly

Post by TonyDaly » Sun May 17, 2015 10:29 pm

Price is OK, when you consider it's a perpetual, professional licence for 3 machines. I would like to say I will be upgrading, but I think I''ll stick with SMO 2012 until cross referencing is implemented properly in TextMaker. SMO 2020 perhaps? [-o<

Jossi

Post by Jossi » Sun May 17, 2015 10:42 pm

TonyDaly wrote:SMO 2020 perhaps? [-o<
The four years between SoftMaker Office 2012 and SoftMaker Office 2016 were an unusually long time - prior to that, the timeframe for new versions has always been two years. I think the reason is that SoftMaker developed two versions for Android in the meantime, so I'm hopeful they will return to a two year cycle now (if they don't start developing für Mac OS X, anyway).

XL-Dennis

Post by XL-Dennis » Mon May 18, 2015 12:31 pm

Given the time frame I can understand the price level for new customers. Of course, for some people it will be rather expensive so it might affect the increase of new customers.

What should be pointed out is the excellent support given here for all customers. From my point of view I find it fully acceptable as long as I get that service 8)

When it comes to beta testing some discount is justified, especially for those who contribute with feedback and bugs reports.
------------------------------------------------
Kind regards,
Dennis

Freddie

Post by Freddie » Fri May 29, 2015 3:24 pm

If there is a 'non-professional' version coming, it will be interesting to see what exactly this consists of. There may be many who do not want the Thunderbird complications and will be happy with a '2016' version of the '2012 standard' product. Someone mentioned on one of the other threads that the changes introduced in 2016 are more akin to patch or minor version updates rather than a major version release - and this is a good point. They are all welcome enhancements, but it is hard to see this as a 'new' product. Pricing does therefore need to be competitive, especially for existing 2012 Standard (paid for) users. Perhaps SoftMaker could clarify what the 'standard' product consists of and when it will be available.

TonyDaly

Post by TonyDaly » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:02 pm

Given that Thunderbird is free, a non-professional version of SMO should either be a hobbled version of 2016 or a change of licence such that it was only to be used for personal use (e.g. M$Office Home & Student). But how SM could police such a licence is debatable. Given that the hobbled version tends to be the free version, I suspect (hope) that there won't be a non-professional version. Imagine an office product that had an extremely simple version & licence model.....now that would be a breath of fresh air and perhaps a reason for buying it.

Return to “General”