Why the need to copy MS Office?

This beta forum will be closed soon. Please post in the regular forum for SoftMaker Office 2016 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

XL-Dennis

Why the need to copy MS Office?

Postby XL-Dennis » Sun May 03, 2015 1:47 pm

Hi,

Let me first tell You that I've been using MS Excel for nearly 30 years and been a prominent member of the Excel online for a long time. Second, I've been using PlanMaker for several years now. So this discussion is from a broader perspective then from an individual point of view.

Why the need to follow Microsoft and their Office Suite? Of course, it's easy to follow the market leader and so on as it cut some development time.

In a recent thread the op asked for support in SoftMaker's Office suite for VBA. Why? To make it compatible with Microsoft's Office suite.

VBA are no longer developed by Microsoft. It's sibling Visual Basic 6 (VB6) was dropped several years ago by Microsoft and VB.NET is something else then just a replacement for VB6. VBA is only used in Microsoft's and is an outdated programming language (intoducer

Putting efforts to develop VBA for SoftMaker's Office suite does not make any sense at all. It's better that SoftMaker decide to use modern programming language. After all, one programming language for all platforms should be a better alternative and also put SoftMaker in a unique position on the market.

I doubt that the majority of SoftMaker's customers use their products along with MS products. Therefore SoftMaker should look more of making new interesting features and tools then just copy Microsoft.

Are SoftMaker happy to be one of several followers to Microsoft or do SoftMaker want to challenge the Office suite market?
------------------------------------------------
Kind regards,
Dennis

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Why the need to copy MS Office?

Postby martin-k » Tue May 05, 2015 9:15 am

Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “General”