I already use Thunderbird (what will change?)

This beta forum will be closed soon. Please post in the regular forum for SoftMaker Office 2016 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

tomos

I already use Thunderbird (what will change?)

Postby tomos » Fri May 01, 2015 12:46 pm

Hi
I already use Thunderbird as my default desktop email client (with POP3/gmail) and am wondering about installing either the beta (or when it comes, the final version) of 2016:

What will change in my current Thunderbird install, if I install the Softmaker Thunderbird version ?

Thanks in advance

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: I already use Thunderbird (what will change?)

Postby martin-k » Fri May 01, 2015 12:50 pm

Our setup finds the existing Thunderbird installation and checks its version number. If it is older than our version (currently 31.6.0), it offers to update it.

Regardless of whether you let it update it or not, the SoftMaker extensions will be installed in all profiles of the current user (unless, of course, you deselected them in the setup program).

You can technically create multiple profiles but they are not really useful because you need to restart Thunderbird to switch between them. The usual way is to create multiple accounts within one profile. Then they appear one below the other.

Just for clarification, I don't recommend accessing the same e-mail account once by POP3 and once by IMAP. POP3 will "steal" the e-mail messages from IMAP, and they will disappear from your IMAP account. If you meant different e-mail accounts, then, yes, it's perfectly fine to have a mix of IMAP and POP3 accounts.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Postby martin-k » Fri May 01, 2015 12:52 pm

What will change with the SoftMaker extensions:

1. An eM Client import filter is added in the Tools menu. If you don't need it, uninstall it via Tools/Add-ons.
2. You get colorful icons. If you don't like them, uninstall them from Tools/Add-ons/Appearance.
3. You get some user interface fixes (title bar and menu bar are back again, tabs appear below the toolbar, and we have added a great tool for moving messages and navigating in your folder tree. Just click on the MoveTo or GoTo icons, start typing a folder name, and see what happens). Again, this extension can also be uninstalled if you don't like it.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

josephrot
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Postby josephrot » Fri May 01, 2015 1:08 pm

What's critical is that those current "Mozilla version" Thunderbird and/or Thunderbird + Lightning users that may have hundreds or thousands of email's and functions stored in the Mozilla "version" application are still praying that IF the improved (and it is) [b]SoftMaker Thunderbird + Lightning is installed, "critical things" must NOT be disturbed, nothing should be lost or wiped out, etc.[/b]

The rest of the SoftMaker apps for 2016 look superb as always, and the differences and improvements since that SM 2012 version are very well thought out, IMHO.

Let us hope that SM 2016 with Thunderbird and Lightning continue the excellence that we have come to love and expect from SoftMaker.

And the requested Thunderbird Search routine addition to add the option to Search the existing Spam and Trash folders will continue to be a needed addition
...users can not afford to over-look potential critical email's that may need to be found and "brought back from the almost dead" if they erroneously wind up in the Spam and Trash folders. Users simply must have the added option to search those areas just in case.

Joe Rotello / WindowGroup / Knoxville, TN / USA
Skype joerotello / Win7 Pro 64bit | Intel Multi Core i5 3.46gHz | 8GB DDR3 | 1GB Nvidia GTX-650SP @ 1152x864 | ASUS | SoftMaker Office 2016 user / EZGenerator 4 web-tool user / Serif PagePlus X8 User

tomos

Postby tomos » Fri May 01, 2015 1:11 pm

Many thanks for those speedy replies Martin !
That sounds safe enough to try.

It would be great to see better tagging implemented in Thunderbird:
I use an extension "Tag Toolbar" to make using tags easier but it's still pretty limited. (There may be new improved tagging addons, I havent looked in a while.)
+
I love the new gmail inbox which has a few tabs e.g.
I Primary I Social I Promotions I Forums I
and allows dragging emails to other tabs (with the query: always do this with mails from xyz?)
Unfortunately this grouping is only so long as they are in the inbox i.e. they are not tagged - but this could be a wonderful UI basis for working with your most-used tags.

(And yeah, I'll have to think about my IMAP vs. POP3 situation. POP3 has it's limitations. Thanks for your comments there.)

stefanz

Postby stefanz » Fri May 01, 2015 6:14 pm

not the forget the add on without "softmaker" in its name, that changes the behaviour of the address matching ....

and besides it seems on my installation,
after having disabled all 3 softmaker addons and the appeareance, the look does not fully revert to the previous look.
it seems, some config settings are changed, that are not reverted on disabling/removing

is there list what to check?

bbriley

Postby bbriley » Fri May 01, 2015 9:57 pm

When I installed the newest beta of SM Office 2016 yesterday, April 30, (complete with Thunderbird and the Softmaker Add-on to Thunderbird to eM Client account importation), I chose the standard installation options, and I noticed Thunderbird being downloaded separately as part of the process. After that, the installation offered me no options (which is fine, as I already had installed Thunderbird 31.6 about week ago, complete with the Lightning plug-in and the Softmaker eM Client to Thunderbird plug-in). The installation yesterday went flawlessly!

However, I still noticed that the SM eM Client to Thunderbird plug-in did not retrieve all of my eM Client addresses. I had imported my eM Client addresses about 7-10 days ago by exporting my eM Client addresses to a .vcf file, and then using an online conversion tool to convert the .vcf file to .ldif so that the contacts could then be imported directly to Thunderbird's address book.

I THINK the only eM Client addresses that I missed in yesterday's installation were the few that I added in the last 10 days to eM Client, after my eM Client addresses had been exported as described above. In all events, the address import component feature of the SM eM Client to Thunderbird conversion tool missed a few addresses. This is not a complaint, just a report.

Thanks to the Softmaker Team for switching to Thunderbird, in all events. My BIG (and only) complaint with eM Client was its unstable maintaining of address book distribution lists. With Thunderbird over the years (before I had eM Client), I've never had any troubles with distribution list disintegration/instability.
Bob Riley in New Mexico, USA - running Windows 8.1 Pro, 32-bit
---
I am here only to help. I am here to represent the One Who sent us.

Someday, we will ALL recognize that the above is true and that we are all connected to one another.

Return to “General”