eM Client Database import plugin

This beta forum will be closed soon. Please post in the regular forum for SoftMaker Office 2016 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

igorkrushch

Re: eM Client Database import plugin

Post by igorkrushch » Fri May 01, 2015 2:21 pm

Good afternoon. I was also trying to try and switch from eM Client to the Thunderbird that goes with Office 2016 beta. And here are some problems/ideas that I would like to highlight.

1. When I selected folder with my eM Client stuff and clicked next, I got this message:
There are calendar and/or task entries in your eM Client database, but Lightning is not installed in Thunderbird.
If you continue, these calendar and task entries will not be imported.
Do you want to proceed anyway?
However, Lightning plugin is installed (I chose to install it with Thunderbird). I double-checked that. I've canceled importing and checked the list of installed Add-ons. Lightning is there. Repeating import procedure still shows this message.

2. It would be really-really great if I could choose where I want to store my imported accounts data. The thing is, I don't like (and probably not only me) all my emails data be stored in Users folder on drive C. I keep it on separate drive at some dedicated folder. But when I use import plugin, it imports all the data and places it into the Users folder.

3. I'm trying to import 5 email accounts from eM Client, as well as Local Folders, Contacts and Address Book, and when it's time to start actual importing, this is the message that I get:
An error has occurred
Error: IemcUnit: Not unique "purpose" value MEMBER
Thank you,
Igor

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Sat May 02, 2015 3:38 pm

martin-k wrote:Bob, thank you. We got the files.

The problem I am seeing is that our import filter does not find any accounts in your eM Client database. It shows an empty account-selection page.

Is that the problem that you are experiencing?
I have reported this issue to the responsible developer.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Sat May 02, 2015 4:49 pm

Igor:

1. The current setup program does not install Lightning correctly. Lightning is one of those special plugins that cannot be run directly as an .xpi, they need to be unpacked. Setup fails to do that. Fix this by going to Tools/Addons, removing Lightning, restarting Thunderbird and adding Lightning again

You get Lighthing directly from the Mozilla Thunderbird add-on site.

2. While the import filter does not allow you to place your messagebase in a different folder, you can let the import filter import it, then go to the account settings in Thunderbird and choosing a different folder. Then exit Thunderbird and move your whole messagebase from the old folder to the new location.

3. Are you able to ZIP your eM Client databases and send us a download link (use Dropbox or a similar service, then send the download link to forum@softmaker.de )?
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

bbriley

Post by bbriley » Sat May 02, 2015 11:41 pm

martin-k wrote:
martin-k wrote:Bob, thank you. We got the files.

The problem I am seeing is that our import filter does not find any accounts in your eM Client database. It shows an empty account-selection page.

Is that the problem that you are experiencing?
I have reported this issue to the responsible developer.
Hi Martin,

Although I am now using Thunderbird as included in your new Office installation package, I still have eM Client as a backup, and it still functions well. I checked Tools - Accounts, and my gmail account is there, and it is functioning perfectly. I can't imagine where else the gmail account data could be stored besides C:\users\Bob Riley\AppData\roaming\eM Client (or "eM Client for Softmaker," since I notice that its data has been updated today).

In the "eM Client for Softmaker," I find the following larger files (10 MB or more) related to mail: mail_data.dat, mail_fti.dat, and mail_index.dat, besides finding more smaller .dat files pertaining to mail. Aren't those the files you're looking for, besides contacts .dat files and event .dat files, all of which are in the same folder under AppData\Roaming\eM Client for Softmaker?
Bob Riley in New Mexico, USA - running Windows 8.1 Pro, 32-bit
---
I am here only to help. I am here to represent the One Who sent us.

Someday, we will ALL recognize that the above is true and that we are all connected to one another.

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Sun May 03, 2015 12:42 pm

Bob, you already sent us the correct eM Client files, and we have been able to reproduce your problem. The responsible developer has been informed and will start working on it tomorrow. If he needs any additional information, I will let you know immediately.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

bbriley

Post by bbriley » Sun May 03, 2015 7:17 pm

martin-k wrote:Bob, you already sent us the correct eM Client files, and we have been able to reproduce your problem. The responsible developer has been informed and will start working on it tomorrow. If he needs any additional information, I will let you know immediately.
Ok Martin, thank you. I have an account selection page within eM Client, although I generally have only used it for my gmail account. As a test at my end, I added my Outlook.com account (seldom used account), and it, too, works fine.

In all cases, thanks for the hard work by you and the rest of the Softmaker team.

Vaya con Dios! (Geh mit Gott) =D>
---

Someday, we will ALL recognize that the above is true and that we are all connected to one another.

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Mon May 11, 2015 8:20 am

@Bob: There is an updated import filter at http://www.softmaker.net/down/thunderbi ... er.com.xpi – I was able to import your eM Client database into Thunderbird with it.

@Igor: Since you didn't send in your eM Client database, I can't be sure if the filter update fixes your problem. The responsible developer thinks it does. Could you try importing with this latest filter?
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

bbriley

Post by bbriley » Tue May 12, 2015 6:07 am

martin-k wrote:@Bob: There is an updated import filter at http://www.softmaker.net/down/thunderbi ... er.com.xpi – I was able to import your eM Client database into Thunderbird with it.
I downloaded the new import filter this evening. When I removed the April 30 beta of SM Office 2016, it also took the lightning plug-in with it.

Tomorrow, when I have time, I'll install the lightning plug-in directly from within Thunderbird 31.6 and re-start Thunderbird, and then I'll add the new SM import-emclient .xpi file and re-start Thunderbird again, too. That should tell me how it works (but please remember, I already imported the eM Client contacts data the roundabout way - by exporting the eM Client contact data (.vcf? I forget the format), then used an online converter to translate that into an .ldif file which Thunderbird could (and did) use to import the contact records).
---

cwolter

Post by cwolter » Wed May 13, 2015 12:42 pm

Hi all,
I'm compelled to test the import plugin because of a disastrous update of the eM Client that broke havoc on my mailboxes.
After 4 days of trials and error with the so called "support" of eM Client, I decided to move to Thunderbird.
I experienced the same problems as Igor, no mailbox to choose.
After having seen the link of the new version of the plugin, I installed it but I cannot again see any account to choose for import.
In my installation there are some 6 accounts (2 of them GMail, the other plain email accounts) but none of them appears.
Please don't ask me to send the archive, because I'm over the 5 GB mark, so it's plainly impractical, let aside privacy concerns....

Do you have some new hint to overcome the problem ?

TIA

Carlo

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Wed May 13, 2015 12:58 pm

So you saw the problem also with the latest filter? That's strange because with all the eM Client databases we tried, it worked with the latest filter.

It's hard to change anything without your actual data. Size wouldn't be a problem, we have already received larger databases. For privacy, I can assure you that we don't look at the e-mails.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

cwolter

Post by cwolter » Wed May 13, 2015 1:19 pm

Yes the problem is again there.
One possible cause is that I already applied the update to the last version of eM Client (following the program request) say 6.0.22344.
This version acts heavily on accounts, to change the Google Login behaviour, so it's possible that the format of some config file is changed ?
Do you have any experience converting such a version database ?

Currently I'm on a low bandwidth connection, so I cannot upload my DB... meanwhile can you take this point into account ?

Thanks

Carlo

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Wed May 13, 2015 1:44 pm

cwolter wrote:Yes the problem is again there.
One possible cause is that I already applied the update to the last version of eM Client (following the program request) say 6.0.22344.
This version acts heavily on accounts, to change the Google Login behaviour, so it's possible that the format of some config file is changed ?
Do you have any experience converting such a version database ?

Currently I'm on a low bandwidth connection, so I cannot upload my DB... meanwhile can you take this point into account ?

Thanks

Carlo
Just to be sure I checked: Our test installation is also at 6.0.22344 and I was able to import an eM Client database from it into Thunderbird. So, that's not the problem. Just to be sure you really installed the latest version of the filter: it should have a file size of 164,295 bytes.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

cwolter

Post by cwolter » Wed May 13, 2015 1:59 pm

Yes, I confirm, the plugin is the same :-(
I have another (old) installation of eM Client. On this the plugin founds correclty the 2 test accounts.... :?

Disinstalled Lightning (following another post) and reinstalled.
Restarted the PC. The Lightning plugin is now correct but the import throws an error:

Error: IemcEmclientAccountHandler: Not consistent data

eM Client, for that sake, is running correctly, set aside the nightmare of a single account.
But I hope at least the others could be read.....

bbriley

Post by bbriley » Thu May 14, 2015 5:31 am

martin-k wrote:@Bob: There is an updated import filter at http://www.softmaker.net/down/thunderbi ... er.com.xpi – I was able to import your eM Client database into Thunderbird with it.
I did use the new plug-in, Martin, and as best I can tell, the import process for contacts worked in my Thunderbird version 31.6. I say that because eM Client (for me, as much as I liked eM Client) had one big flaw in my experience: the distribution lists I built up in it were not always stable - I'd lose list members without warning.

Thus when I imported eM Client data (including contacts) into Thunderbird, one of my Thunderbird lists got a bit messed up, and I chalk that up to the "successful" import from eM Client. I have since patched up my affected distribution lists in Thunderbird, and those lists in Thunderbird are VERY stable.

Based upon my limited tests, then, your new eM-Client to Thunderbird plug-in works.

Are we still expecting the last SM Office beta version to be released this week?

Have a "wunderbar" week at work, this week, Martin and the other SM Office team members!
---

Return to “General”