eM Client Database import plugin

This beta forum will be closed soon. Please post in the regular forum for SoftMaker Office 2016 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

XL-Dennis

eM Client Database import plugin

Postby XL-Dennis » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:13 pm

Hi,

Tonight I decided to port my account from emClient to Thunderbird. I downloaded and installed the plugin from Softmaker.

All my databases are located in the same directory and I select the correct path way. However, when I click on the Next button nothing happends...

Is it correct to assume that the plugin will work with the downloaded version from Mozilla?

If so, in the dialog it says "The following eM Client Database will be imported". I have several databases stored in the same location. Shouldn't it be showed and that I'm offered to select one of the databases?

At present I'm skeptical because the wizard confuse me more than help me out.

Thanks!
------------------------------------------------
Kind regards,
Dennis

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: eM Client Database import plugin

Postby martin-k » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:58 pm

Dennis, all the files in the "eM Client for SoftMaker" folder together constitute "the eM Client Database". You use the file dialog to just select the folder and let the filter do the rest. Please be sure to use the latest filter version (updated a few minutes ago) from http://www.softmaker.net/down/extension ... er.com.xpi
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

XL-Dennis

Postby XL-Dennis » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:05 pm

Martin,

Thanks for the clarification as well as the latest version of the plug-in.

The wizard is launched when Thunderbird is opened. When stepping through the wizard it seems to stop in the last step. Please see the attached screen shot.
Attachments
sshot-1.png
Kind regards,
Dennis

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Postby sven-l » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:10 am

The plugin should work properly with the Thunderbird version downloaded from the Mozilla website.

What I did:
1. I used a fresh installed Windows 8.1 64bit installation
2. Then installed SoftMaker Office 2012 with eM Client and setup an Gmail account
=>Everything works fine. I can see, receive and send mails.

3. Now I installed our new beta and Thunderbird (from the Mozilla website)
4. In Thunderbird I added our eM Client import plugin (http://www.softmaker.net/down/extension ... er.com.xpi)
5. After a restart of Thunderbird the import dialog from that plugin comes up asking if I want to import my data from eM Client. I followed the instructions and it found my database.
=> Everything was imported correctly. Now I can work with my account in Thunderbird.

I have some questions:
1. Which Windows are you using?
2. Are you working with the newest revision of Thunderbird ?
3. Is the newest revision of eM Client installed (http://www.emclient.com/release-history-softmaker)?
4. What kind of email account (IMAP or POP3) are you using?
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

XL-Dennis

Postby XL-Dennis » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:42 pm

Sven,

- Running Windows 8.1 x64 with latest patches.
- Running latest version of Thunderbird
- Running latest version of emClient
- Mix of POP3 and IMAP account
Kind regards,
Dennis

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Postby martin-k » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:10 am

Dennis, are you able to ZIP the whole folder and mail it to us (forum@softmaker.de)?

The behavior you see is strange. If it is a folder without an eM Client database, you should receive a message that the chosen folder does not contain an eM Client database. And if there is an eM Client database there, the filter should list the accounts.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

bbriley

Postby bbriley » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:19 pm

Martin, before I installed the plug-in, I had already re-installed the newest version of SM Office 2012, complete with eM Client. I then Installed the newest version of Thunderbird and set up my gmail IMAP account, which downloaded all of my email.

Finally, I downloaded the .xpi plug-in you gave us the link for and then told Thunderbird to install the .xpi file using the Add-ons manager. It told me to re-start Thunderbird and I did. Nothing seemed to happen - It didn't ask me which database to install or anything. The cursor, however, has a blue animated circle to its right. The address book has not been updated or anything.

Did I make an error in setting up my gmail account in Thunderbird before running that plug-in developed by your team?

Bob
Bob Riley in New Mexico, USA - running Windows 8.1 Pro, 32-bit
---
I am here only to help. I am here to represent the One Who sent us.

Someday, we will ALL recognize that the above is true and that we are all connected to one another.

bbriley

Postby bbriley » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:41 am

Hi Martin,

I have good news and bad news. First, I totally uninstalled the latest Thunderbird and removed its account data from C:\Users\Bob Riley\Appdata\Roaming\Thunderbird

I then re-installed the latest Thunderbird (without setting up any account information). I then installed the lightning plug-in for Thunderbird. Then I had Thunderbird restart and I installed the Softmaker Import plug-in which your team developed. I then shut down and restarted Thunderbird and your plug-in interface popped up. I told it to import the mail settings, the calender data and the address book.

The good news - the setup of my gmail IMAP account worked fine! It was set to import all data from "eMClient" instead of "eMClient for Softmaker - was that a mistake?).

The bad news - nothing from my eM Client contacts file was imported, nor was anything from my calendar.

The good news: Fortunately, I had recently exported the contact data from eM Client to an .ldif file under Family\Contacts (indirectly, via an external website that converts eMClient's exported .vcf file to .ldif), and the Thunderbird program itself would import the data from that .ldif file.

Suggestion - since at this point, your Thunderbird add-on won't import the contacts or calendar data (at least, not for me), better for you to tell people to export the eM Client contacts and calendar data to suitable files (.vcf - to be converted to .ldif online - and .ics).

Please have a "wunderbar" day on Friday and weekend with your family!
---

Someday, we will ALL recognize that the above is true and that we are all connected to one another.

XL-Dennis

Postby XL-Dennis » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:18 pm

Martin,

Sorry, it's not possible for me to send it to You. Too much is private & confidential.

Bob,
Instead of hijacking another thread it's recommended that You start Your own thread.
Kind regards,
Dennis

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Postby sven-l » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:08 am

bbriley wrote:The bad news - nothing from my eM Client contacts file was imported, nor was anything from my calendar.

If possible, please send us the eM Client database or send us an downloadlink for it to forum(at)softmaker.de so that we can try to reproduce that problem here. Thank you!
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

XL-Dennis

Postby XL-Dennis » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:13 pm

Today I uninstalled eMail Client, rebooted the computer, re-installed it and rebooted again.

Started the wizard and everything went smoothly.

All ok :-)
Kind regards,
Dennis

bbriley

Postby bbriley » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:41 am

sven-l wrote:
bbriley wrote:The bad news - nothing from my eM Client contacts file was imported, nor was anything from my calendar.

If possible, please send us the eM Client database or send us an downloadlink for it to forum(at)softmaker.de so that we can try to reproduce that problem here. Thank you!

Hi Sven, I'll do that tomorrow, when I get a chance. I assume this is the path to what you want for data:
C:\Users\Bob Riley\AppData\Roaming\eM Client for SoftMaker Can you confirm that to be the proper database files location? Thanks.

It is 60.3 MB in size, so I'll upload it to DropBox and then send you a link. I am doing fine with my contacts now because I had exported my eM Client contacts to a .vcf file, then used an online converter to change it to .ldif, which Thunderbird can easily import.
---

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Postby martin-k » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:51 am

Bob, yes that's the correct folder.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

bbriley

Postby bbriley » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:09 pm

Hi Martin and Sven,

I sent my eM Client database to you (forum@softmaker.de) via a DropBox link about 12 hours ago. I hope you find that helpful.

Bob Riley
---

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Postby martin-k » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:40 pm

Bob, thank you. We got the files.

The problem I am seeing is that our import filter does not find any accounts in your eM Client database. It shows an empty account-selection page.

Is that the problem that you are experiencing?
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “General”