Choosing Thunderbird

This beta forum will be closed soon. Please post in the regular forum for SoftMaker Office 2016 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

seasidepb

Choosing Thunderbird

Post by seasidepb » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:54 pm

I already owned emClient so the pro package never appealed. But since Thunderbird is freely available I wonder how much added value people will see in it, even with some customisation and integration.
Still I'm not particularly fond of emClient... it offers good Google integration especially in the contacts module but otherwise I don't like the way it looks or organises mail. I share SMO's views on the visual shortcomings of Thunderbird and the SMO theme improves things, but it doesn't address the one thing that has always made me look elsewhere, namely the absence of a proper two line "vertical" layout. The Postbox variant does it properly, and looks much nicer, but has had no real development for a couple of years.
So if the Softmaker team is getting involved with Thunderbird development it would be fantastic if you could push the UI further, and if it all ties in with SMO so much the better.

softmaker101

Re: Choosing Thunderbird

Post by softmaker101 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:02 am

My understanding is Mozilla has stopped developing Thunderbird almost 1.5 to 2 yrs ago; and will release only security updates; time will tell how involved Softmaker is in developing Thunderbird ....

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:49 am

Mozilla itself no longer funds Thunderbird development, this is correct. There are however volunteer developers and paid developers from other companies (now including SoftMaker) to carry Thunderbird forward.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

el48tel

Post by el48tel » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:52 pm

"...............There are however volunteer developers................"

This worries me as there is no commitment from these to continue - they could withdraw at a moment's notice

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:59 pm

el48tel wrote:"...............There are however volunteer developers................"

This worries me as there is no commitment from these to continue - they could withdraw at a moment's notice
So could any commercial vendor for its own products. Witness how many Google services have disappeared at a moment's notice.

But Thunderbird is open source, and in the unlikely situation that simply all volunteers would disappear, we would still be able to enhance Thunderbird. With eM Client, we could only post bug reports and feature requests to the developers, and they could either follow up on them or ignore them.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

el48tel

Post by el48tel » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:11 pm

martin-k wrote:
el48tel wrote:"...............There are however volunteer developers................"

So could any commercial vendor for its own products. Witness how many Google services have disappeared at a moment's notice.

But Thunderbird is open source, and in the unlikely situation that simply all volunteers would disappear, we would still be able to enhance Thunderbird. With eM Client, we could only post bug reports and feature requests to the developers, and they could either follow up on them or ignore them.
This illustrates the point further - reliance on 3rd party

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:16 pm

I am not sure I can follow you. Everyone can fork Thunderbird and create their own e-mail client. There is no reason for us to do this because it would get increasingly harder to include enhancements from the volunteers into our fork, but it could be done if the volunteers really abandoned Thunderbird.

Again, I don't see this happening, but we would be prepared.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Neil_Parks

Post by Neil_Parks » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:04 pm

What can you do with Thunderbird that the developers of Fossamail cannot?
"Program in haste; debug at leisure."

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:06 pm

We want to work within the Thunderbird community and not fork like Fossamail and Postbox. As far as I can see, Postbox has nice enhancement but was changed so significantly that it still has to use the Thunderbird 3 codebase and that most extensions don't work with it.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

softmaker101

Post by softmaker101 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:46 pm

Unfortunately Thunderbird is resource hungry and SMO 2016 plug-ins making them markedly more memory hog .. and I really could not observe any performance or functional improvements with Softmaker add-ons ...

I appreciate, a detailed list of improvements made by the SMO add-on .. that way we can evaluate it objectively ....

Return to “General”