Replacing formats

This beta forum will be closed soon. Please post in the regular forum for TextMaker 2016 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

Gabor Szots

Replacing formats

Post by Gabor Szots » Sun May 17, 2015 2:36 pm

I have tried to replace the dark green text in a paragraph with colour 37. I marked the paragraph, chose replace, chose format, then selected the colours for the original and the target. Somehow Replace remained greyed out and selecting replace all did not replace anything, I was told there have been 0 words replaced.
I don't think there is such a gross error in the software, so what am I doing wrong?

Jossi

Re: Replacing formats

Post by Jossi » Sun May 17, 2015 10:19 pm

If it is only the question of changing the text colour of one paragraph, just select the paragraph, go to Format > Character... and change the colour there. That's much easier than using Replace.

Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots » Mon May 18, 2015 4:29 pm

No, I would like to replace all dark green text in a document (spread randomly) with automatic. It would be a bit tiresome to replace them one by one.

Jossi

Post by Jossi » Mon May 18, 2015 11:42 pm

I see. I've just checked this with a sample document, and it worked ok. Did you check "Search from top“ in the Search and Replace dialogue box? If this option is unchecked, TextMaker will only search and replace from the cursor position onwards, so if the cursor is at the end of the document, nothing will happen.

Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots » Tue May 19, 2015 7:40 am

What I did was I marked a paragraph then asked for the replace. I could not do it by simply selecting another colour because there were characters I did not want to alter.
I check again tomorrow, I cannot do it today.
Thanks for your interest.

Gabor

Jossi

Post by Jossi » Tue May 19, 2015 2:02 pm

There is definitively a problem here. When I select a paragraph and try to replace a character or paragraph format with "Replace all", the changes are applied to the following paragraph, not to the selected paragraph. SoftMaker should have a good look at this.

Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots » Tue May 19, 2015 3:08 pm

Yes, I remember something similar happened to me as well.

Jim-J
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by Jim-J » Tue May 19, 2015 3:20 pm

Hello,

it would be very helpful to have sample files. This makes it a lot easier for us to check on this issue.

Thank you.
Jim J.
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Jossi

Post by Jossi » Tue May 19, 2015 4:51 pm

Hello Jim,

the bug is reproducible with any file in TM 2016. Just open a document with several paragraphs, select one paragraph in the middle of the document with the mouse, go to Edit > Replace..., leave the text fields empty, make the settings for a replacement of some formatting (e.g. text colour from black to red) and click "Replace all".
Edit: I've tried a few variations. The problem seems to be that the Search and Replace function completely ignores a current selection of text; it always takes the end of the selection as current cursor position and starts from there (except when "Search from top" is active), just as if nothing were selected at all. This is contrary to Windows standards (where a previous selection of parts of a document always restrains program functions to the selected parts) and therefore counterintutive.

Jim-J
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by Jim-J » Tue May 19, 2015 5:43 pm

Hello,

I informed the developers about this issue.

Thank you.
Jim J.
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots » Tue May 19, 2015 11:58 pm

Thanks Jossi for your efforts and results. In the afternoon I tried to upload the file I currently work on from my phone but somehow it refused. Just got home to see that it is not needed after all.

Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots » Wed May 20, 2015 10:06 am

Jossi wrote:Hello Jim,

the bug is reproducible with any file in TM 2016. Just open a document with several paragraphs, select one paragraph in the middle of the document with the mouse, go to Edit > Replace..., leave the text fields empty, make the settings for a replacement of some formatting (e.g. text colour from black to red) and click "Replace all".
Edit: I've tried a few variations. The problem seems to be that the Search and Replace function completely ignores a current selection of text; it always takes the end of the selection as current cursor position and starts from there (except when "Search from top" is active), just as if nothing were selected at all. This is contrary to Windows standards (where a previous selection of parts of a document always restrains program functions to the selected parts) and therefore counterintutive.
I checked it again and I can confirm what you write here. One addition: if I select a paragraph and Search from top is active, the replacement starts in the marked paragraph and goes till the end of the document.

Anyway, here is the document I used (no secret thing).
Attachments
Mráz-Szőts 2015.docx
(67.41 KiB) Downloaded 63 times

Jim-J
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by Jim-J » Wed May 20, 2015 2:03 pm

Hello,

the developers answered:
-----
Original problem:
- Replacing within a selection doesn't work. All text after the selection will be replaced.
- Replace is disabled until you search. See our help! You search, the search term is selected, you can replace (the replace button is enabled)

Steps:
- If there is no red text in the document, no red text can be found.

If you select "Search from top", all occurrences will be replaced.
-----
Jim J.
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots » Wed May 20, 2015 2:22 pm

Jim-J wrote:Hello,

the developers answered:
-----
Original problem:
- Replacing within a selection doesn't work. All text after the selection will be replaced.
- Replace is disabled until you search. See our help! You search, the search term is selected, you can replace (the replace button is enabled)

Steps:
- If there is no red text in the document, no red text can be found.

If you select "Search from top", all occurrences will be replaced.
-----
I am sorry, I cannot understand that.

Please tell me in detail what steps I must follow to replace a colour with another within a paragraph (and only there) if there are multiple colours in that paragraph so that I cannot change the colour by selecting the paragraph and selecting another colour.

Jossi

Post by Jossi » Wed May 20, 2015 3:08 pm

Gabor Szots wrote:Please tell me in detail what steps I must follow to replace a colour with another within a paragraph (and only there) if there are multiple colours in that paragraph so that I cannot change the colour by selecting the paragraph and selecting another colour.
1. Set the cursor at the beginning of the paragraph, then call Edit > Replace...
2. Define the colours in the Search field and the Replace field.
3. Click "Search" and then "Replace" and repeat this until you have reached the end of the paragraph.

Return to “Beta: TextMaker 2016 for Windows”