Feature request - proper autocorrect

This beta forum will be closed soon. Please post in the regular forum for TextMaker 2016 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

seasidepb
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:30 am

Feature request - proper autocorrect

Postby seasidepb » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:04 am

I'm sure this has been requested before, so it's disappointing that there's no sign of change in the beta.
Textmaker would benefit from some form of autocorrection alongside Smart Text - both Word and LibreOffice Writer execute this pretty well, and it's been around in Word at least since 1997. Smart Text on its own is useful but a poor substitute for autocorrection of common mistakes and requirements (like putting the accent on "cafe") - and it is already lurking in the automatic capitalisation of the first word in a sentence. It makes a big difference in daily use.. and it's also frustrating when in other respects Textmaker handles fonts so much better than LibreOffice that you have to fiddle with Smart Text to address basic typographic niceties like proper en and em dashes. Would it really be so difficult to implement?

Jossi
Posts: 818
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:47 pm
Location: Luebeck, Germany

Re: Feature request - proper autocorrect

Postby Jossi » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:02 am

seasidepb wrote:and it's also frustrating when in other respects Textmaker handles fonts so much better than LibreOffice that you have to fiddle with Smart Text to address basic typographic niceties like proper en and em dashes. Would it really be so difficult to implement?

You may assign your own keyboard shortcuts to en and em dashes without making use of Smart Text. Just go to Insert > Symbol..., select the appropriate dash, press Change... and assign any key combination you like.

softmaker101
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:47 am

Re: Feature request - proper autocorrect

Postby softmaker101 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:55 pm

Not an easy solution, lot of key combinations to remember. Most of this can be addressed with an autocorrect option, the question us whether SMO has the ability or will implement it or not.

seasidepb
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:30 am

Re: Feature request - proper autocorrect

Postby seasidepb » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:19 pm

softmaker101 wrote:Not an easy solution, lot of key combinations to remember. Most of this can be addressed with an autocorrect option, the question us whether SMO has the ability or will implement it or not.


Yes that's the point... As it is I've set up a Smart Text entry for an en dash using a double dash, which works better than a keyboard shortcut. It's good that there's something I can do to work round the absence of autocorrect, but the basic issue remains that you have to do quite a lot of fiddling around with SMO to make it work in the ways you'd expect a modern suite to work. It's great that it has this degree of customisation (and one of my problems with MS Office is that it no longer does) - great that the underlying power is there, but I think it would help the product achieve wider acceptance if Softmaker attended to the things that people who've been using MS Office or even LibreOffice would expect.

Jossi
Posts: 818
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:47 pm
Location: Luebeck, Germany

Re: Feature request - proper autocorrect

Postby Jossi » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:04 pm

Well, this may partly be a matter of taste. I remember from the time I used MS Office (long, long ago) that these programs drove me crazy with all sorts of unwanted built-in automatic corrections I had to track down and disable. I like it the other way round – applications that do only what I tell them to do, and nothing more.

softmaker101
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:47 am

Re: Feature request - proper autocorrect

Postby softmaker101 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:27 am

Jossi wrote:Well, this may partly be a matter of taste

Agreed, unfortunately it is the bad taste/choice from SMO developers; rather than empowering users with options, SMO forcing users to use their a particular way by not developing important features.
Also, can you let me know the key code to find and eliminate extra space and duplicate words, which can be detected and eliminated easily by having an autocorrect feature.

Jossi wrote:I remember from the time I used MS Office (long, long ago) that these programs drove me crazy with all sorts of unwanted built-in automatic corrections I had to track down and disable.

This clearly indicates that SMO liaisons are not keeping up with the developments of their competitors, which is a big problem. MS office and Libreoffice is light year ahead of the time that Jossie mentioned. Both of these programs give users options to either to turn-on or turn-off auto correct features, go ahead and try these softwares.
Last edited by softmaker101 on Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jossi
Posts: 818
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:47 pm
Location: Luebeck, Germany

Re: Feature request - proper autocorrect

Postby Jossi » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:32 am

I admit that autocorrect options in LibreOffice are much more sophisticated than in TextMaker and improvements in this direction would be very welcome. On the other hand, talking about "fiddling around": With so many options available, it also took some fiddling around for me to adjust everything to my wishes, especially as the effects of some options were not intuitively comprehensible. I would appreciate if SoftMaker took a happy middle ground here.

softmaker101
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:47 am

Re: Feature request - proper autocorrect

Postby softmaker101 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:03 pm

Jossi wrote:I admit that autocorrect options in LibreOffice are much more sophisticated than in TextMaker and improvements in this direction would be very welcome. On the other hand, talking about "fiddling around": With so many options available, it also took some fiddling around for me to adjust everything to my wishes, especially as the effects of some options were not intuitively comprehensible. I would appreciate if SoftMaker took a happy middle ground here.


I am not seeing any problem in spending 2-3 min to set the autocorrect options the way I want. It doesn't matter whether SMO takes low-/middle-/or high -ground, providing options to users is the key. Unfortunately, SMO can't provide options to feature that is not at all developed or non-existent. Therefore, focus should be to develop these useful features and implement it in a intuitive manner.

Alfred
Posts: 131
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:40 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Feature request - proper autocorrect

Postby Alfred » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:13 pm

softmaker101 wrote:I am not seeing any problem in spending 2-3 min to set the autocorrect options the way I want.

I don't have a problem with spending 2-3 minutes to set up SmartText options the way I want. Once set up, it works in much the same way as I'm used to the auto-correct feature working in Serif PagePlus: if there's an odd occasion when you don't want an accent on 'cafe', you simply press Ctrl+Z to undo the auto-correction.

The auto-correct function in PagePlus also handles the conversion of quotation marks from straight to typographic, so again you can undo them quickly and easily. I can't see a way of straightening curly quotes 'on the fly' in SMO, but maybe that's just my inexperience showing.

seasidepb
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:30 am

Re: Feature request - proper autocorrect

Postby seasidepb » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:37 am

The "fiddling around" demands quite a lot more than a couple of minutes in the SmartText dialogue. For instance a word count is both a basic and fundamental feature of a word processor. Textmaker can do it, but you wouldn't know it from looking at the menus. You have to customise toolbars to find the statistics tools, drag the word count option to the status bar (at least that's what I do) as well as the "refresh" button, and even when finally you have it you still have to refresh it manually. I came to like SMO enough to spend time working out how to do these things, but hiding away such basic functionality is not the way to win friends and influence people. As far as I can see the SMO team has been spending time working on hard things, code efficiency, file compatibility, pivot tables and so on but then ignoring small but irritating things that would I imagine be much easier to put right. It needs to do both.
Meanwhile going back to autocorrect, I think the truth is that most of us do not maintain a list of the things we'd like to see autocorrected - maybe three or four things would come to mind but that's about it. The rest of the time it's only when you have to go back over a common typo or reach for the insert symbol button that you're likely to think "this should be in SmartText", and if you're actually trying to work on something you probably won't pause to attend to your software set up. If you've been using Word or LibreOffice Writer your expectations will have been conditioned and Textmaker will seem a cruder product, even if in so many other ways it's so much nicer to use. It's why Word and Writer have both "autotext" and autocorrect, because the combination works better with the way most people actually do things.

Alfred
Posts: 131
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:40 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Feature request - proper autocorrect

Postby Alfred » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:05 am

seasidepb wrote:The "fiddling around" demands quite a lot more than a couple of minutes in the SmartText dialogue. For instance a word count is both a basic and fundamental feature of a word processor. Textmaker can do it, but you wouldn't know it from looking at the menus. You have to customise toolbars to find the statistics tools, drag the word count option to the status bar (at least that's what I do) as well as the "refresh" button, and even when finally you have it you still have to refresh it manually. I came to like SMO enough to spend time working out how to do these things, but hiding away such basic functionality is not the way to win friends and influence people. As far as I can see the SMO team has been spending time working on hard things, code efficiency, file compatibility, pivot tables and so on but then ignoring small but irritating things that would I imagine be much easier to put right. It needs to do both.

Thanks. My point was that I don't mind how the functionality is accessed, as long as it's readily available. I agree that a function as basic as word count should be provided 'out of the box', and that we shouldn't have to spend ages "fiddling around" to expand either an auto-correct or SmartText list: I expected to see much more in the latter than just 'BR' and 'YF'.

softmaker101
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:47 am

Re: Feature request - proper autocorrect

Postby softmaker101 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:01 pm

Some thing that is not available can't be accessed. Autocorrect and Autotext/Smarttext do different functions. Smarttext can't be used for identifying and eliminating duplicate word, extra space etc,
In SMO entering smarttext also consume more time.

Alfred
Posts: 131
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:40 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Feature request - proper autocorrect

Postby Alfred » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:12 pm

I understand now. Thanks for the clarification!


Return to “Beta: TextMaker 2016 for Windows”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest