Extending a Text Selection

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for TextMaker HD for Android.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

Dean_Highland

Extending a Text Selection

Postby Dean_Highland » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:12 pm

I'm a writer and I participate in NaNoWriMo and Camp NaNoWriMo (see nanowrimo.org). I need to be able to update my word count daily on the NaNoWriMo website. Using the word count feature of the Statistics toolbar works well. At the end of the day, I select the text that I wrote that day and click on Refresh and I get an accurate word count.

The problem is in selecting just the text that I wrote in a given day, not the entire document. I can insert bookmarks to mark the beginning and end of the text I write in a given day, but TextMaker appears to have no way to automatically select the text between two bookmarks.

MS Word uses the F8 function key to allow any cursor movement (Goto, Find, etc.) to extend a selection. If TextMaker had this functionality, it would be much more effective for writers and others tracking their word counts in a portion of a document.

I've searched the user manual, but I've found nothing that allows a text selection to be extended as described above. Did I miss something. If so, please let me know. If not, would you consider adding this functionality.

I've been using TextMaker HD on my Android tablet with a bluetooth keyboard, but this problem also exists in the Windows and Linux versions.

I really like TextMaker in all other respects, but I sure wish extending a text selection were easier.

Jossi

Re: Extending a Text Selection

Postby Jossi » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:56 pm

I can say nothing about MS Word or TextMaker HD for Android. In TextMaker for Windows, I extend a text selection using:
* Shift+arrow right for characters
* Shift+arrow down for lines
* Shift+Cmd+arrow right for words
* Shift+Cmd+arrow down for paragraphs.

Dean_Highland

Re: Extending a Text Selection

Postby Dean_Highland » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:11 am

Thanks, Jossi, I am aware of those keyboard commands, but they are not useful for having to select large segments of text (such as 20,000 words). They also require me to manually locate the beginning and end of the text I wish to select, rather than using Go To.. or Find.... That is why I am asking Softmaker about a selection extension command.

Return to “TextMaker HD”