Margins not accurate

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for TextMaker HD for Android.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

wbrells

Margins not accurate

Postby wbrells » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:20 pm

I have the full version of TextMaker HD and notice a problem with margins, both when importing an MS Word document AND when creating new documents. Specifically, I used Page setup to define the top and bottom margins as 0.5" rather than the default 1.0". However, when I print a document the margins are much larger - a bit more than 0.75" it appears. This is a major problem when importing MS Word documents since the larger top/bottom margins reduce the amount of text on a page and thereby "messes up" all my carefully designed page formatting! HAS ANYONE ELSE SEEN SUCH A MARGIN PROBLEM AND, IF SO, IF THERE ANY SOLUTION? Thanks, Wayne

wbrells

Re: Margins not accurate

Postby wbrells » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:30 pm

Folks,

I've just noticed that the left and right margins also print considerably larger than the 0.5" that I specified in Page setup. Even if I specify top/bottom/left/right margins of 0.0", the printed margins are approximately:

top: 0.37"
bottom: 0.50"
left: 0.26"
right: 0.26"

When editing, the margins LOOK correct on the horizontal & vertical rulers BUT they certainly don't print that way!

When importing an MS Word file (which should have 0.5" margins) I notice that because of the excessive margins each line, when printed, is "squeezed" to maintain the same number of characters/line as in the original document. As a result the characters on each line (12 pt Calibri - and yes, I have installed that font on my RCA 10" Android 4.4 tablet) appear a bit smaller than they should be. (I'm using Cloud Printing to a Canon MG7720 printer.)

==> SURELY, someone else must be seeing this these odd margin problems?

Wayne

wbrells

Re: Margins not accurate - SOLVED?

Postby wbrells » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:56 pm

Folks,

Me again! It really appears that the problem is with my Canon MG7700 printer. When "Cloud Printing" to this printer (particularly on plain paper) there doesn't seem to be any way to specify borderless printing. As a result, the margins specified in my imported Word document are ADDED to the borders provided by the printer! The only "workaround" I can think of - which isn't really satisfactory - is to reduced the margins in the Word documents so that, when added to the printer borders, the pages print properly. Can anyone suggest a better solution (other than, perhaps, buying a different printer)?

Thanks,
Wayne

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Postby sven-l » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:14 am

Could you please specify how exactly you print? Are you using any kind of printer app? TextMaker itself does not provide a printer driver. So if you use a printer app, it could be the culprit.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Postby martin-k » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:18 am

Internally, TextMaker HD creates a PDF file and sends it to your printer app. To check if TextMaker creates wrong margins or your printer app, let TextMaker HD create a PDF file (File > Export as PDF), then look at it in a PDF viewer (maybe you have to copy it to your PC to view it in an industry-standard PDF viewer).
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

wbrells

Postby wbrells » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:59 pm

Folks,

The problem is certainly with the implementation of Cloud Printing on my Canon MG7220 inkjet. At least when using plain paper there doesn't seem any way to do "borderless" printing. In other words, the printer ALWAYS seems to add certain sized borders to any document that is printed, effectively adding to any margins specified by the document itself! This behavior APPEARS to be documented in Canon's manual for the MG7200, but I'll be looking into this in more detail.

In the meantime, I can print correctly to some "legacy" printers that are set up via Google Chrome - they do NOT add any unwanted margins. The disadvantage, of course, is that the PC supporting those legacy printers must be running whenever printing is to be done from my tablet!

Thanks very much for your help,

Wayne

Return to “TextMaker HD”