TextMaker HD crashes when opening .docx or .doc files from Dropbox

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for TextMaker HD for Android.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

alisonnic

TextMaker HD crashes when opening .docx or .doc files from Dropbox

Post by alisonnic » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:35 pm

Update: I have isolated this problem to the interface between TextMaker HD and Dropbox. Other apps do not have this issue. See Reply below the OP for more info.

I've been looking for a word processing app for my Android device that will do what I call "electronic markup." This means having the ability to track changes, and to add and edit comments in documents created by myself and friends. TextMaker would be perfect for this, except that it crashes whenever I open a document.

I use Word on my PC, and I'd like to have something that can fill in for it when I'm on the go. I use mostly .docx format, although I do have some older .doc files. All the documents are stored in Dropbox, and my Android device, an Asus Chromebook Flip, has Dropbox (and Android) enabled.

The Flip is a great device to take with me to the library or meetings or wherever. But I need a way to edit documents on it, including tracking changes and inserting comments, and showing changes and comments I'd already made in Word on my PC.

I tried almost a dozen apps before trying TextMaker HD Basic. None of them had all the features I needed. I was delighted when I found this app because it does have everything. Comments, track changes, next/previous comment, next/previous change. Awesome! I bought the upgrade within minutes of trying the app.

The only problem was that on my Flip, which has a 10" screen, the UI was huge. The menu and status bars took up a third of the screen, leaving me relatively little space to read and edit my documents. So I tried resizing the UI (Tools > Options > Appearance > User interface size). The Small controls size with text size at about 75%, plus Large Icons selected on the Appearance pane, is just about perfect.

But now whenever I open a .docx or .doc file from Dropbox, TextMaker crashes immediately. I've tried many things, and at one point when I set the UI size and icon size back to default, I was able to open my documents. But now even that doesn't work. Even with the default settings, TaskMaker crashes as soon as I open a document.

I'm so disappointed! I'd spent many hours research all those apps, and TextMaker was the last one on my list. I thought this was the perfect solution for me. But it's broken. #-o :cry:

Can anyone suggest a fix or at least a workaround for this problem?

Thanks!

Alison
Last edited by alisonnic on Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alisonnic

Re: TextMaker HD crashes when opening .docx or .doc files

Post by alisonnic » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:32 pm

I have found a workaround: if I copy the document from Dropbox to the local Download folder on the Flip, then I can open, edit, and save it without TextMaker HD crashing.

So it appears that this issue is associated with TextMaker HD opening files directly from Dropbox on a Chromebook.

Is there any way to report a bug, other than posting in this forum?

Note: I am able to open .docx and .doc files from a number of other apps on this machine without a problem. The issue of crashing when opening files from Dropbox is clearly associated with TextMaker.

I also tried uninstalling my antivirus, Avast, but that didn't help. TextMaker still crashes when opening a .docx file from Dropbox, but can open a copy of that file from the local Download folder.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: TextMaker HD crashes when opening .docx or .doc files

Post by sven-l » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:07 am

alisonnic wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:32 pm
Is there any way to report a bug, other than posting in this forum?
Yes, via the support form:
http://www.softmaker.com/en/support-assistant/view/form
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

alisonnic

Re: TextMaker HD crashes when opening .docx or .doc files from Dropbox

Post by alisonnic » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:43 pm

Thanks! I've posted a bug report. Hopefully the developers can find a resolution.

alisonnic

Re: TextMaker HD crashes when opening .docx or .doc files from Dropbox

Post by alisonnic » Mon May 07, 2018 2:37 pm

Here is Softmaker’s response to my bug report:

Dear valued customer,
TextMaker HD on Chromebook OS isn't officially supported by our company, so problems related to our software on this operating system should be solved by yourself.
We don't provide any support in such cases.

Best regards
SoftMaker Team

Return to “TextMaker HD”