Replacing Selected Text by Typing

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for TextMaker HD for Android.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

Dean_Highland

Replacing Selected Text by Typing

Post by Dean_Highland » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:17 am

I love TextMaker. I have used it on my tablet and my desktop to write two novels. But on my tablet, I have identified an annoying bug. When a sequence of text is selected and a character key is pressed on the keyboard, the typed character should replace the selected text. And most of the time, that is exactly what happens. However, if background spell checking is enabled, and the sequence of text contains a misspelled word, then something quite different happens when I type a character. The sequence of text is not deleted, the text cursor movs to the beginning of the paragraph, and the typed character is inserted as the first character of the paragraph!

The next paragraph demonstrates this bug. Copy and paste it into a TextMaker document, then select this three-word sequence: "example, misspulled, and." Then type a character on the keyboard and see what happens.

This is a sample paragraph to demonstrate the bug. If (1) a sequence of text is selected, and (2) any part of that sequence contains a misspelled word, for example, misspulled, and (3) background spell checking is enabled so that the misspelled word is displayed with a squiggly underline, and (4) the user types a character on the keyboard, then (5) instead of the typed character replacing the selected text, which is the correct operation, (6) the selection is canceled, the text cursor moves to the beginning of the paragraph, and the typed character is inserted at the beginning of the paragraph, which is not the correct operation.

I am using an ASUS 10" tablet running Android 7.0 with a Logitech Bluetooth keyboard. My software is TextMaker Professional 2016, (rev 767.0623.fg).

jimjutte
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Re: Replacing Selected Text by Typing

Post by jimjutte » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:58 pm

Hi Dean,

I wanted to see if I can duplicate this on my phone because my tablet (Samsung) is dead... but I couldn't. Sven will likely be looking in on this shortly, but if not, I'll see about looking at this on my tablet tomorrow and see if I can duplicate the problem.

They may ask you for a file to help resolve the issue. Can you upload a sample where this effect has occurred for them in case they need it?

Thanks
Cheers
Jim

Dean_Highland

Post by Dean_Highland » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:19 pm

Jim,

I have attached a file demonstrating the bug, although the example paragraph in my original post should have worked. Please remember, this bug occurs on my ASUS 10" tablet running Android 7.0 with a Logitech Bluetooth keyboard running TextMaker Professional 2016, (rev 767.0623.fg). (This was originally installed as the free TextMaker Basic, but I upgraded to the full version via an in-app purchase.)

Please note that this bug does not occur with TextMaker 2016 rev 768.1215 for Windows, which I run under Wine on a Centos 6 platform. I have only experienced the bug on the Android version.

Dave
Attachments
TextMaker_Bug_Example.doc
(16.5 KiB) Downloaded 41 times

jimjutte
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by jimjutte » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:07 am

This didn't happen on the free version, correct?
Cheers
Jim

Dean_Highland

Post by Dean_Highland » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:23 am

That was long enough ago that I really don't remember.

jimjutte
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by jimjutte » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:33 am

Ok, I'll try my tablet, but I can't see anything like this on my phone so far. Too bad it didn't happen every time.
Cheers
Jim

Dean_Highland

Post by Dean_Highland » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:12 pm

Any luck?

I have one new piece of information. I tried the same scenario with the on-screen keyboard and that also manifested the bug. So it happens with either the on-screen (soft) keyboard or an external bluetooth keyboard. I thought perhaps it was a quirk of the external keyboard interface, but that is not the case.

Dean

Dean_Highland

Post by Dean_Highland » Thu May 31, 2018 2:23 am

I discovered that this bug only occurs with files in *.doc format, not *.docx. Since I no longer need the *.doc format for compatibility with other programs, I have converted my active files to *.docx. This issue can be closed.
Thanks,
Dean Highland

jimjutte
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by jimjutte » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:03 am

Thanks Dean,

Sorry for the delay, but we are at the end of the school year and so I am a bit busy... In any case, I was never able to try the tablet because it was dropped. Having said that, glad to hear that you managed to find a solution.
Cheers
Jim

Return to “TextMaker HD”