Chromebook Support

Post here those questions, bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker HD for Android that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

mrw3

Chromebook Support

Post by mrw3 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:05 am

Are there any plans to adopt SoftMaker Office HD for Android to function on Chromebooks? Current solutions for working with MicroSoft Office files on the chromebook (including Office Online) are lacking, whereas Office HD is fully functional for most purposes. I have tried running Office HD apps using the ARC Welder environment on a Chromebook, but it is currently not functional. Thanks.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Chromebook Support

Post by sven-l » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:39 am

There are currently no plans to support Chromebooks. We will inform you in the case that we find the time and think again about a Chromebook support.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

mrw3

Post by mrw3 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:32 pm

Thanks for acknowledging the suggestion. The current options for working with Office files on the Chromebook are so poor that I think this is a real opportunity for Softmaker.

mrw3

Post by mrw3 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:45 pm

This article should help reinforce the strategic business case for porting Office HD for Android to Chromebooks. For the first time, Chromebooks are outselling Windows laptops...http://goo.gl/dHp0Yz

yowlingcat

Post by yowlingcat » Sat May 21, 2016 5:41 pm

In the light of Google IO 2016 I would have thought you wanted to revisit Chromebook support urgently - if you can get Android apps on a Chromebook by the end of this year, as Google promises, think of all those extra customers for your Android product ... plus as the OP said, there isn't that great a level of support for Office files on the Chrome OS platform at the moment. Here is a golden chance to get in there early. Remember Windows is slowly dying - mobile platforms are the future.

ericscoles

Post by ericscoles » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:59 pm

From what I'm seeing at this time, it should be possible to install an unmodified version of Softmaker Office onto a compliant Chromebook. A distinct ChromeOS version of Office would only be useful for older Chromebooks.

I'm considering an Acer R11 to replace my Nexus 10; if I do that, I'll try to remember to come back and post results of attempts to load either Office or TextMaker.

yowlingcat

Post by yowlingcat » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:18 pm

I did it on my Chromebook Flip for a while when I had it in developer mode - works like a charm, given that it is still very early days.

I still think that a version that worked using Chrome's tabs would be awesome - it makes it so much easier to navigate. I can't imagine that it would be too difficult to produce either. You can just imagine the existing set-up, plus access to Dropbox and so on. It would be a killer - and very important given that Chromebooks have done so well in the educational market.

regards
Richard

leonbobcamp

Post by leonbobcamp » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:14 pm

I am using Softmaker Office HD on my Samsung CB Plus and it works beautifully. Very happy. Waiting for next update (2018?)

yowlingcat

Post by yowlingcat » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:49 pm

For some reason, I have a problem with scrolling on my CB Pixel 2015: when I scroll the page using two fingers on the touchpad, it sort of keeps hold of the page and I then have to tap the page to release the cursor. It selects words as well as I scroll. I don't think they have bothered to optimise it for CB's, which is a shame.

I suppose they have been hard at work on SM 2018, and maybe they will roll out an Android version soon, which is optimised. Let's wait and see - I wish SM would tell us what they are up to. I would have thought that with CB's getting some traction out there, they would be keen to get onto as many platforms as possible.

yowlingcat

leonbobcamp

Post by leonbobcamp » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:57 pm

ok yes, I have the same bug, not critical though ;) Yes let's see what improvements future versions will offer.

vikingson

Post by vikingson » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:15 pm

You should be able to do it via Linux if you are willing to run Crouton or run regular Linux. Depending on the Chromebook you can run a full install of Linux. I have an Acer C720 Chromebook running Linux Mint Xfce 18.2 right now. I haven't tried Softmaker on it yet, but no reason it would not work.

yowlingcat

Post by yowlingcat » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:01 am

absolutely you can run Linux under Crouton, which I recall worked well on my C720P, and yes then it ran SM Office (I have an old version for Linux).

I found Crouton something of an overhead and rather tricky - perhaps it has improved since I used it 18 months or more ago. I can't be bothered to install it on my current CB's - you had to go into developer mode, which made the thing less secure and made an ugly beeping sound when you booted, not insuperable I agree, but irritating.

perhaps SM is looking at this thread and will tell us when they will make SM compatible with CB's - as an Android developer, they should have had loads of info from Google as to how to do this. it's very annoying.

vikingson

Post by vikingson » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:40 pm

When using Crouton you can skip that awful beeping during boot up by hitting ctrl-d.

yowlingcat

Post by yowlingcat » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:27 pm

that's true - but I did worry about the loss of security, one of the good things about a CB is the inbuilt security. Turning that off seemed counterproductive. here's hoping SM will get its act together and produce something compatible with Chrome OS.

Return to “SoftMaker Office HD for Android (General)”