GUI Improvements for SmartPhones

As the public beta test has finished, this forum will be closed soon. Please post to the full version's forums.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

Byron Siegel

GUI Improvements for SmartPhones

Post by Byron Siegel » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:50 am

This suggestion is based on my limited use of PlanMaker HD Beta 714.1013.fl on my Samsung Galaxy S3 (4.8" 1280x720 pixel display). While I really like the layout and functionality of PlanMaker HD some GUI improvements could be made to make the app more friendly on new larger (5"-6" displays), high-resolution smartphones (such as HTC One (M8), LG G3, Google Nexus 6, Samsung Galaxy S5 and Note 4). This assumes SoftMaker wants to expand the target audience for it's Office HD for Android beyond 7" tablets.

For example, the Table | Sort dialog panel in PlanMaker has the following GUI issues that could be addressed:
  • The field widths for Column and Order are twice as large as needed, the size of other dialog panel elements could also be reduced.
  • Horizontal and vertical spacing between the dialog panel options could be significantly reduced.
  • OK & Cancel functions could be fixed at the bottom of the menu panel, such as that in File | PDF Export, instead of being on the far right side of the panel.
These sorts of changes would reduce or completely eliminate the need for scrolling on new larger, high-resolution smartphones.

And regarding the UI Scaling Option set, perhaps the limitations of the dialog manager could be relaxed at some point in the future. Or since the number of available icon sets depends on screen resolution, perhaps the icon sets used by PlanMaker HD could be tailored to best fit the device resolution? This probably isn't possible but since I was thinking about it ...

I am pretty much convinced that some thought and effort by SoftMaker could make SoftMaker Office HD for Android a better experience for larger, high-resolution smartphone users. Even if it's too late in the process to address these ideas for the current development cycle, perhaps SoftMaker could look at this issue some more at a future date.

I am looking forward to again evaluating PlanMaker after I get a new smartphone, it really is a nice app! =D>

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: GUI Improvements for SmartPhones

Post by sven-l » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:12 am

Thank you for your suggestions, which I referred to our developers.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

chrislaarman

Re: GUI Improvements for SmartPhones

Post by chrislaarman » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:34 pm

I happen to concentrate on TextMaker. To me the expansion of the user interface from the icons (however clever, especially on my old Windows smartphones) to full-blown menus is great. So is the scalability option. (But the original poster may well have a point.)

Using my Nexus 10 tablet with a Bluetooth keyboard surely feels like using a notebook with similar dimensions.

On my Nexus 5 smartphone the scalability allows a nice trade-off between editing and viewing.
Unless I should have overlooked the feature, I have this SUGGESTION:
An easy-to-reach "View" mode that hides all controls, perhaps even a full-screen read-only "Viewer" mode (that supported files can be viewed in). That may be redundant, but omitting it might compel users to keep some other office suite installed.

Return to “General”