Help PDF

As the public beta test has finished, this forum will be closed soon. Please post to the full version's forums.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

julian

Help PDF

Post by julian » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:37 pm

Hi,

 TextMaker has a nice PDF export function; much better the Print-to PDF or Save as PDF of other Office software. But TextMaker is not able to display and navigate a PDF document. Which has meant I use Polaris Office [one of TextMaker's main competitors] to display TextMaker's Help file; which seems a little incongruous. When the help document could be supplied as a Write protected TMD document.

However, more importantly, and this may be a little embarrassing for SoftMaker. The Help PDF's Properties says that it was created in Microsoft Word 2010. It seems very odd to use the biggest reviale's product to creater the help file for your product. It suggests their's is better than your's.

The application "ezPDF Reader" in properties, shows:
 Title: Manual TextMaker
 Author: SoftMaker GmbH
 Creator: Micrsoft® Word 2010
 CreationDate: Thu Sep 04 15:24:25 GMT+01:00 2014
 ModDate: Thu Sep 04 15:24:49 GMT+01:00 2014  
 Publisher: Micrsoft® Word 2010
 Security Method: No Security

Not a showstopper but quite embarrising.

Regards Julian.
Attachments
sminfo.txt
Your info file.
(21 KiB) Downloaded 55 times

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Help PDF

Post by sven-l » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:15 am

That is correct. There is currently no PDF Viewer delivered with our Office for Android (maybe in the future) as there are so many free PDF Viewers out there.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

julian

Post by julian » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:38 pm

Hi Sven,

  Agreed there are many free PDF readers out there.
  It was more that the PDF was created in Word 2010 that I felt could, and should, be corrected easily and quickly.

  The Help PDF could be made available as a password-locked read-only TextMaker document. And if it was, it would be possible to flip back and forth betweed the active document and the Help Text. Or read the help text in TextMaker and tryout the menus and dialog bowes without having to open & close the Help PDF each time. Being able to see what the Help Text is referring too without having to switch apps would greatly reduce the learning curve; which can only be a good thing if TextMaker is to take its place as a market leader.

  At the moment one has to open the Help PDF navigate to the section of interest, read the text, remember each step, close the Help PDF, try to apply the Help PDF text instructions to the document. it would be so much better to flip between two tabbed documents making assimilating of all TextMaker functions and features much faster. And the right-hand document-map would be a great way to quickly navigate the Help Text.

  It may not be a showstopper, but it is something that would make TextMaker look more professional.

  PlanMaker and presentationMaker could also have TextMaker documents, alowing Android to flip between PlanMaker & TextMaker or PresentationMaker &Presentation TextMaker.

  Another thought, aworkaround, if you programmers can find a way to lauch the Help PDF as a separate app, again Android could be used to flip between TexkMaker & PDF viewer, or PlanMaker & PDF viewer, or PresentationMaker & PDF viewer.

  I'm not saying remove the Help PDF altogether, some people my wish to read the help text on another device. But I am saying make it easier for people to flip between the Help Text and TextMaker, PlanMaker, and PresentationMaker.

Regards Julan.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:22 pm

Thank you for your feedback! I will refer it to the developers.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “General”