Open and Save dialog, use external sdcard/usb

As the public beta test has finished, this forum will be closed soon. Please post to the full version's forums.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

AndreasR

Open and Save dialog, use external sdcard/usb

Post by AndreasR » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:17 pm

Description:
I would like to open or save a file from the external sdcard slot. The open or save as dialog offers some storage locations on the left, one of them not using a cloud service and referencing only the internal sdcard. I suggest allowing access to the /storage folder and let the user choose their external sdcard (or usb stick!), or add the option for a configurable entry for the 2nd storage location. Please remember lots of devices support USB drives which usally appear under /storage as well.
-The android system allows write access if the permission is requested: android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE.
-I can access directory listing of /storage without superuser in terminal emulator.

How-to:
1. Start Textmaker HD
2. Open file dialog
3. Try to access any other device then /storage/emulated/0/, e.g. /storage/sdcard1

System:
-Android device: Motorola Xoom
-Android version: Android 4.4.4 Kitkat, Omnirom 2014-08-06
-Kernel: ElementalX 2.1
-RAM size: 1GB

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Open and Save dialog, use external sdcard/usb

Post by sven-l » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:59 am

Thank you for your suggestion! I will refer it to our developers.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

qrto

Post by qrto » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:10 pm

Hello, reffering to option to save files on external sdcard, i also would very much like that option to be added. Lack of this option now causes "filesystem not valid" error when trying to save document on external sdcard if it is already saved on external sdcard:

Steps to reproduce:
1. open file located on external sdcard in Textmaker HD (for example via any file explorer)
2. press save in Textmaker HD
3. "filesystem not valid" error appears

Despite this error message it seems like the document is saved properly anyway, but then the error message is redundant.

Jim-J
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by Jim-J » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:19 am

qrto wrote:Hello, referring to option to save files on external sdcard, i also would very much like that option to be added. Lack of this option now causes "filesystem not valid" error when trying to save document on external sdcard if it is already saved on external sdcard:

Steps to reproduce:
1. open file located on external sdcard in Textmaker HD (for example via any file explorer)
2. press save in Textmaker HD
3. "filesystem not valid" error appears

Despite this error message it seems like the document is saved properly anyway, but then the error message is redundant.
I tried to reproduce this on a Samsung Note 3 - Android 4.4.2. I had no chance to save on the external storage, even when the file was opened from there. It seems that there is a different behavior on other devices.

Can you post what device you are using?
Jim J.
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “General”