issues with auto-close on Windows shut-down

Post bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker eM Client Professional 5 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

kaima

issues with auto-close on Windows shut-down

Post by kaima » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:38 pm

Windows shut down / restart handling of quitting running applications and eM Client do not play well with each other. If eM Client has been quit by Windows, it will complain on next application start that it has been improperly shut down and now needs to check its databases etc for errors, which can take quite a while with large email accounts.
We are observing this perfectly repeatable on Win7-64 bit on different machines, as well as under Win8-64 bit (no 32-bit available any more). Current version on all machines is 4.0.14690.0, but we noticed this behavior already with the previous version.

As we are planning now to replace Outlook with eM Client throughout the company we are going to deal with less experienced users that often may forget to quit eM Client before shutting down Windows. So what can be done about improving eM Client feeling that it's being treated improperly by Windows shutdown?

Thank you and Best Regards, Martin

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: issues with auto-close on Windows shut-down

Post by sven-l » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:52 pm

I will write you a PM.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

klausjoehnk

Post by klausjoehnk » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:36 am

Hello,

this issue also appears for me when regularly exiting em client under Windows 7 64 bit. The MailClient.exe program will still be running and is killed during shutdown leading to the described database check the next time em client is started.
Passed that info including log files to the developer support, but after a week no response.

Klaus

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:36 am

klausjoehnk wrote:Hello,

this issue also appears for me when regularly exiting em client under Windows 7 64 bit. The MailClient.exe program will still be running and is killed during shutdown leading to the described database check the next time em client is started.
Passed that info including log files to the developer support, but after a week no response.

Klaus
I wrote you a PM.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

klausjoehnk

Post by klausjoehnk » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:49 am

Thank you for replying secretly. This will not help anyone with similar problems and does obviously hide problems with the functionality of em Client.
BTW. the help provided (an updated em Client version) did make things worse, em Client now only downloading new messages or showing mails after several exit restart cycles. These problems do not show up on Windows XP using the same configuration of mail accounts.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:53 am

But it did not help anyone either to make this public. eM Client wrote me that they want to solve the problem directly in the ticket you created there. They did not give us any workaround for this problem. I think they will contact you directly.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

RKanarek

Post by RKanarek » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:35 am

An unsolicited comment:
sven-l wrote:But it did not help anyone either to make this public. ...
Actually, if it discourages more answers by PM, then it will help quite a few people. For what its worth, I quite agree with "klausjoehnk."

Cordially,
Richard Kanarek

PaulM

Post by PaulM » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:46 am

For what it's worth, I also believe this to be an important matter and have in the past stopped using products that don't respond elegantly to a Windows shutdown.

This seems to be a more common complaint under Win 7 64 bit than other Widows variants, quite possibly because many develop teams aren't writing 64 bit variants of their software so tend not to test it so heavily under 64bit O/S (this is a suspicion and it may not apply to SoftMaker).

However forewarned is forearmed and I thank those you raised this matter for alterting me to this potential problem. (Data reliability is non-negotiable: it must be provided.)

I too deal with "less experienced users" (actually that could read: computer illiterates)

atom

Post by atom » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:40 am

I've the same problem on Win7/64bit, using eM Client version 4.0.14690.0. Is it scheduled to be fixed with a reliable update? When?

Thanks

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:21 am

EM Client 5 will be released soon via a free automatic update. Please try again with that version as soon as it is available.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

atom

Post by atom » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:26 am

sven-l wrote:EM Client 5 will be released soon via a free automatic update. Please try again with that version as soon as it is available.
Thx, eagerly waiting :)

Eldred180

Post by Eldred180 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:15 pm

Hi Softmaker

I'm experiencing this problem with version 5 on Windows 7 64. When I try to shut down, having exited eM Client before shutting down, I get the Message "eM Client is uninitialising" ???. If I do nothing I can sit and wait, and wait, and wait. If I cancel Shut Down, start Task Manager and try to end the MailClient.exe*32 process, nothing happens, it won't end. If at the Shut Down screen I force a Shut Down, next time I start eM Client, the database is scanned because eM Client did not shut down properly.

This was an occasional problem with version 4, it happens every time with version 5.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:27 am

Thank you! I informed the developers to investigate that problem and will inform you as soon as I have an answer.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:25 am

When it happens again, please run the tool available from http://www.emclient.com/tools/emstackdump.exe after the freeze happens. It should generate a log file (starting with "eM Client Stack" in your Documents folder) that will help us analyze the problem in more detail. Please send this file to us (forum(at)softmaker.de). Thanks.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “SoftMaker eM Client Professional 5 for Windows”