Purchased TextMaker, installation problems

Help for TextMaker 2002 for Zaurus

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

rogerbowering

Purchased TextMaker, installation problems

Post by rogerbowering » Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:54 pm

I just received my download (or the link for it) for the Zaurus which I purchased

I have tried to Install to SD, Internal AND CF. In all cases I get the "An error occurred...." error message, saying not all files could be extracted.

I have managed to use WinZip to extract all the TextMaker files and copied them manually to the Internal folder structure and make it work. But this uses up over 4mB of internal Ram. I have tried copying the files manually to SD and to the CF but TextMaker will not run. I cannot even see the icon unless it is in the Internal folder opt/QtPalmtop/apps/Applications.

Can you please tell me exactly which files I should copy where to maketextMaker install on the SD card, otherwise this is a very expensive usage of 4mB

Thanks

Roger
PS Why does no-one reply to support emails?

Tobias-L

Post by Tobias-L » Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:47 pm

What exactly did you do to install TextMaker? Please tell us step-by-step.

PS: Due to 11/11 we have a lot of emails, so the resonse time is longer than it normally is.
Tobias Leißner
SoftMaker Software GmbH

rogerbowering

What did I do

Post by rogerbowering » Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:48 pm

I used WinZip to extract the TextMaker2002.ipkg

This gave me the folder structure and files:
\Control
\opt\QtPalmtop\apps\Application\tm.desktop
\opt\QtPalmtop\bin\tm
\opt\QtPalmtop\etc\TextMaker\fonts\ various (17) *.pfb files
\opt\QtPalmtop\etc\TextMaker\html\ various *.gif and *.htm files
\opt\QtPalmtop\etc\TextMaker\html_en\ bksm.gif, desksml.jpg, index.htm
\opt\QtPalmtop\etc\TextMaker\install_en\Config\ tml.txm, tmw.dbf
\opt\QtPalmtop\etc\Textmaker\install_en\Documents\ FAQ.tmd, Readme.tmd, World_Languages.tmd
\opt\QtPalmtop\etc\TextMaker\install_en\Templates\ ... various directories and files
\opt\QtPalmtop\pics\tm.png

If I put this entire structure in Internal memeory the Application displays an icon in the right tab and launches and runs

If I put this entire structure on SD or CF card it does not display an icon, nor run.

Can I manually place files on my SD (preferably) or CF card in such a way that I'll have my desktop icon in the Applications tab and the app will run?

Roger

Tobias-L

Post by Tobias-L » Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:55 pm

Why don't you use the add/remove software tool in the control panel. This is the way you normally install packages to the Zaurus.
Tobias Leißner
SoftMaker Software GmbH

rogerbowering

Post by rogerbowering » Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:00 pm

If you see my first post you'll see I kept getting an error using the Add/Remove Software app.

I tried installing to SD "Error Extracting some files...." followed by "this application can only be installed in main memory"

I tried installing to CF with the same message

I tried installing to main memory. I got the first message, then the Add/Remove icon appeared to show installed (ie it turned from red to blue), but there was no icon for the application. Anyway, I don't want it in the main memory - hence this post

Please (begging now :-), how can I 'force' this app onto my SD card!

Roger

Tobias-L

Post by Tobias-L » Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:16 pm

Have you already tried to redownload the file? It seems like your downloaded file is corrupt. Please use a download manager able to resume broken transfers.
btw did you change the file name before installing via add/remove software?
Tobias Leißner
SoftMaker Software GmbH

rogerbowering

Post by rogerbowering » Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:20 pm

No, I didn't change the name of the downloaded file and how can it be corrupt if I can extract it and copy the extracted files to various folders.

I had the same problem with 2nd beta (Nov 15th) and I noticed that I couldn't install THAT via Add/Remove (same errors). I see from the message board that some users were ok with it and others had the same problem as me - surely not a corrupt download - maybe a setting or some existing software on the Zaurus. No way to tell what the problem is.

I'll do as you suggested, but is it not possible to answer my question of where I should place the files? Are any files/folders missing from my list?

rogerbowering

Post by rogerbowering » Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:33 pm

OK. I've re-downloaded the TextMaker 2000 ipkg.

I've placed the ipkg file directly on my SD card and I am using the Add/Remove Software option to Install to SD.

I've just got the message:
"The extract of some files failed. This application may not execute normally. When you cannot operate the application, please remove it."

I've clicked on [OK]

I've just got the message:
"This package is available only for main memory. Please install it in main memory"

I've clicked [OK]

The icon in Add/Remove Software has changed from red to blue, i.e. Installed.

There is no TextMaker icon in the Applications tab!!!!

[Edit: don't post download links, Tobias-L]

Now, will you PLEASE tell me how to place and configure the files on my SD card so I can use my 49.99 piece of software

Thank you

hg
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by hg » Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:41 pm

OK. I give you a short explanation what happens and what should be done.

What the installer does, it extracts all files in the archive to either /home/QtPalmtop or, for sd cards, to /mnt/sd/QtPalmtop.
In the latter case, it puts symbolic links for all extracted files in /home/QtPalmtop.

You see only the files that are in /home/QtPalmtop. So if you have all files on SD or CF card, your Zaurus won't see them.

What you have to do is the following:
- You have to have the extracted files on your card. They should be put in /mnt/sd/QtPalmtop - else you have to modify the pathes in the example.
- You need a terminal/console/shell (depends on Zaurus/OS) and create a symbol link for tm in the bin directory.
- You have to copy the picture and the desktop file as well.
- You have to be root (on some OSes, you're not).

So, start your terminal and log in as root (su).

Create a symbolic link:
ln -s /mnt/sd/QtPalmtop/bin/tm /home/QtPalmtop/bin/tm

Copy the picture:
cp /mnt/sd/QtPalmtop/pics/tm.png /home/QtPalmtop/pics

Copy the desktop file:
cp /mnt/sd/QtPalmtop/apps/Applications/tm.desktop /home/QtPalmtop/apps/Applications

If you reboot now, you should see the TextMaker icon in your application folder and you should be able to start it.

You may want to change the path for your templates as well:
Change the settings in Extras/Preferences/Files to the path on your card. This should be something like /mnt/sd/QtPalmtop/etc/TextMaker.

Of course the same applies to cf cards as well - just use /mnt/cf instead of /mnt/sd.

Hope it works for you - if not, please tell us what kind of Zaurus/dog you use and which OS version.
Heiko Gibson
SoftMaker Development

"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by." - DNA

rogerbowering

Mail Merge

Post by rogerbowering » Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:32 pm

Thanks for that. It works!!!!!

Now, don't upgrade to product too soon, otherwise I'll have to do this all over again.

One last thing
I have exported my Contacts from the address book to CSV file, TextMaker gives me an error when it tries to merge to document.

Tobias-L

Re: Mail Merge

Post by Tobias-L » Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:57 am

rogerbowering wrote:I have exported my Contacts from the address book to CSV file, TextMaker gives me an error when it tries to merge to document.
If so, please send us the CSV file so we can take a look at it.
Tobias Leißner
SoftMaker Software GmbH

jerrymcgill

Post by jerrymcgill » Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:21 am

I am also having problems. I purchased Textmaker by mail. I had previously installed and then removed a free trial version. When my CD arrived, I installed the version on the CD, and when i attempted to use it, it identified itself as the 30 day trial version. I tried to uninstall and reinstall and this made no difference. How to I get my paid version to install correctly? :?:

Tobias-L

Post by Tobias-L » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:08 am

I've sent you a private mail. Please tell me if this suggestion work for you.
Tobias Leißner
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “TextMaker 2002 for Zaurus”