version testing

Help for TextMaker 2002 for Zaurus

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

engine

version testing

Post by engine » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:29 pm

TextMaker 2002 on the Zaurus does not seem to handle files from later versions gracefully! instead of displaying a message "this appears to be a TextMaker file but cannot be opened with this version ..." or something such, it just locks up the Zaurus completely and I have to reboot.

Whether or not this is a problem specific to my installation, I was wondering whether there is any way to examine a TextMaker file without using TextMaker and read its version information.
Niels Grundtvig Nielsen
You know what you're talking about ‒ I can help you say it
http://www.kbss27.be

jimjutte
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Re: version testing

Post by jimjutte » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:52 pm

Do you mean even if it is saved in an earlier format? Or do you mean in the later formats. I would expect problems with later formats.
Cheers
Jim

engine

Post by engine » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:27 pm

It's a question, for me, of later formats. Other software where I'm using different versions on different machines detects (for example) absent-minded attempts to open a 8.1 file with 7.2, and displays a polite warning message. TextMaker on the Zaurus just throws a complete wobbly, which is inconvenient.

I can't see any way, even within TextMaker, of finding out which version of the software created the file.
Niels Grundtvig Nielsen
You know what you're talking about ‒ I can help you say it
http://www.kbss27.be

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:38 pm

Bytes 8 and 9 of any .tmd file contain the minor version number, bytes 10 and 11 the major version number.

Don't ask me which numbers relate to which version of the software. I honestly don't know, but you can try this out by saving from different versions of TextMaker.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “TextMaker 2002 for Zaurus”