Scaling of interface and messages

Post here those questions, bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker FreeOffice 2012 for Linux that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

Buntuhein

Scaling of interface and messages

Post by Buntuhein » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:29 am

I have freeoffice installed on Ubuntu 15.04 and I like the software very much, mainly because of the sublime MS Office compatibility. Just one thing bugs me: the GUI. On my XPS 13 it is just a bit too small and I would like to be able to make the buttons, menus en message boxes a bit larger. Is there an option to scale the GUI?
Is there also an antialiasing option for the GUI fonts?

Many thanks in advance.

Michael Uplawski
Location: Canton Magny (previously Canton Carrouges), Orne, Normandy (previously Lower Normandy)

Re: Scaling of interface and messages

Post by Michael Uplawski » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:05 am

It depends a bit on your definition of “scale”. :? What you can have, are larger Icons, though :
Tools | Options | Appearance (Weiteres | Einstellungen | Aussehen)

There, you will find an option “Use large icons”.
sc_large_icons.png
Last edited by Michael Uplawski on Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
People should go where they are not supposed to go, say what they are not supposed to say and stay, when they are told to leave.” (Howard Zinn)

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:06 am

If you have KDE or Gnome installed, SoftMaker FreeOffice should pick up the dialog font and font size from the operating system, including antialiasing.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Michael Uplawski
Location: Canton Magny (previously Canton Carrouges), Orne, Normandy (previously Lower Normandy)

Post by Michael Uplawski » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:18 am

Oh, I am taking advantage of the fact, that the Boss is active in the forum, this morning... :mrgreen:

With my wife's preference for large Icons comes an increased distance between menu-commands but not a bigger font-size... I am sure, that this is not intentional. By the way.

[I don't know, but the easiest could be to take note of where an icon does currently [not] exist, then do with[out] the increased vertical distance.]
Cheerio.
sc_nicht_normal.png
sc_nicht_normal.png (10.66 KiB) Viewed 2500 times
sc_menu_normal.png
sc_menu_normal.png (10.34 KiB) Viewed 2500 times
People should go where they are not supposed to go, say what they are not supposed to say and stay, when they are told to leave.” (Howard Zinn)

Buntuhein

Post by Buntuhein » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:35 am

Many thanks to all. I have chosen larger icons and with Unity Tweak tool I also enlarged the system font a little. So far this seems to work. Strange was that after I switched to large Icons the font look more crisp as well and didn't show any aliasing??

Buntuhein

Post by Buntuhein » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:42 am

See here the odd difference with large and small icons. The font even seems better with large icons, although I did not adjust the font in any way by then.
screendump.jpg

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:37 am

You have switched user-interface styles (Tools/Options/Appearance). In one case you were using our own UI style (you can detect this from the simple screen font used for menus and dialogs), in the other you are now using the "Linux" UI style, and this asks the operating system for the font and font size of the dialog/menu font.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Buntuhein

Post by Buntuhein » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:01 am

Dear Martin,

Thanks for your reply. I have indeed been able to reconstruct exactly what you have done. Now all of my Softmaker Office programs look very pretty. Reason enough for me to buy/upgrade to 2016 for Linux as soon as it available. I have been using Libre Office for years, but got frustrated with their poor MS Office compatibility. I has become better over time, but nothing beats Softmaker Office in this respect. Also SO is blazingly fast and not hungry on resources. I'm actively promoting SO with other Linux users and in user fora. Keep up the good work.

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:06 am

8)
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “SoftMaker FreeOffice 2012 for Linux (General)”