Typing and Spellcheck problems

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for FreeOffice TextMaker 2012 for Windows

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

BrianA

Typing and Spellcheck problems

Post by BrianA » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:47 pm

I am having two problems with TextMaker (which I don't have in the Android version I run on my tablet).

1) If I try to insert a letter inside a word it chews up the letter following it. Even if I put in a space the same happens. I have managed to overcome this by putting in a Return, then going back to the previous para, typing what I need in, and then doing a delete on the following para to bring the two together again - but this is an irritating hassle. Many years ago I used to have this problem in Microsoft Word and it came down to a setting called Overtype, which had to be turned off, but I can't find any sign of that here. I have investigated all the Dictionary and Spellcheck settings mentioned in the forum and all seem to be correct. Any ideas?

2) Spellcheck. I have followed all the suggestions for setting the correct Dictionary - in my case English (United Kingdom); enabled 'Use background spellchecking'. However, when I miss-typed two words - Grataitude (Gratitude) and elnightneing (enlightening) it doesn't find them. When I first spellchecked from the point I'm at in the doc it found nothing. When I then changed to Whole Document it found a couple of things in my email address, but neither of these words. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Brian

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Typing and Spellcheck problems

Post by sven-l » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:26 pm

BrianA wrote:I am having two problems with TextMaker (which I don't have in the Android version I run on my tablet).

1) If I try to insert a letter inside a word it chews up the letter following it. Even if I put in a space the same happens. I have managed to overcome this by putting in a Return, then going back to the previous para, typing what I need in, and then doing a delete on the following para to bring the two together again - but this is an irritating hassle. Many years ago I used to have this problem in Microsoft Word and it came down to a setting called Overtype, which had to be turned off, but I can't find any sign of that here. I have investigated all the Dictionary and Spellcheck settings mentioned in the forum and all seem to be correct. Any ideas?
Is that what you mean?
http://www.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_get ... osoft_Word
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Typing and Spellcheck problems

Post by sven-l » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:32 pm

BrianA wrote: 2) Spellcheck. I have followed all the suggestions for setting the correct Dictionary - in my case English (United Kingdom); enabled 'Use background spellchecking'. However, when I miss-typed two words - Grataitude (Gratitude) and elnightneing (enlightening) it doesn't find them. When I first spellchecked from the point I'm at in the doc it found nothing. When I then changed to Whole Document it found a couple of things in my email address, but neither of these words. Any ideas?
Please check the following things:

1. Proof that the dictionary is installed. You can see that in Tools=>Options=>Language where you set your preferred language. There should be a green tick left of "English (United Kingdom)".
2. Select the whole text and invoke Format=>Character. Make sure that the text is either set to your preferred language (like in Tools=>Options=>Language) or set to "Standard" (then it uses the language set in Tools=>Options=>Language).
3. If the spell checker generally works but still does not find some single words and mark them as wrong, then it means that these words are not in the dictionary. You can let TextMaker "learn" these words. Just right mouse click on a word and select "learn" from the context menu.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “FreeOffice TextMaker 2012 for Windows”