Resizing the main window resizes the sidebar

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for FreeOffice TextMaker 2012 for Windows

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

Neutrino

Resizing the main window resizes the sidebar

Post by Neutrino » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:40 am

If you grab an edge of the main window and drag to resize it, the sizebar is also resized to maintain the same proportion of the whole window area. This is completely unnatural, people expect to use the splitter bar to resize the sidebar, when the mainwindow is resized only the document view area should change size and the size of the sidebar should stay fixed to the size selected by the user.

The way it currently is you set the size of the sidebar, then size the mainwindow so that you can see all the document, that in turn resizes the sidebar, so then you have to resize the sidebar back to the size you'd already set it to. Getting the size of the document view and sidebar the way you want becomes an annoyingly iterative process of resizing the sidebar and mainwindow.

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Re: Resizing the main window resizes the sidebar

Post by Jossi » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:52 am

Your suggestion refers to the width of the sidebar, right? Frankly, I see no big advantage in a fixed width of the sidebar. If, for example, I resize a full screen window to the left half of the screen and the sidebar keeps its width, the document area would get absurdly narrow and I had to resize it anyway. So, it's basically the same thing, only the other way round.

Neutrino

Post by Neutrino » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:54 pm

When you first launch TextMaker it displays the Information pane in the sidebar. At this stage if you resize the application window the sidebar does actually keep its size fixed. But then if you manually resize the sidebar using the splitter and then adjust the size of the application window, now the sidebar starts resizing itself.

So there's no denying it, it's a bug, albeit one that should be pretty simple to fix.

Incidentally here is a list of applications currently installed on my workstation that have a sidebar, and every one of them resizes way I suggest it should.

Word, Visual Studio, MS Help Viewer, Kaxaml, Internet Explorer, PDF XChange Viewer, Software Ideas Modeller, Acrobat Reader, Argo UML, Pencil, SQL Server Management Studio, NUnit Gui, Star UML, White Star UML.

So I think my suggestion not only makes sense from the point of view of the most useful resizing behaviour, but also from the point of view that unless you have some radical UI improvement it just makes sense for things to work the way people expect it to.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:51 am

I will refer your suggestion to the developers.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “FreeOffice TextMaker 2012 for Windows”