Default font

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for FreeOffice TextMaker 2012 for Windows

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

Post Reply
john3347
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:30 am

Default font

Post by john3347 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:37 am

how do I change the default font and type size in TextMaker so I do not have to reset font every time I open the application? I cannot find how to make my preference default. Thank You very much, whoever will answer this problem for me.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team
Posts: 7484
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:26 am
Location: Nuremberg
Contact:

Re: Default font

Post by sven-l » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:59 am

Here you can find instructions how to change the default font:
http://www.freeoffice.com/en/support/tips/textmaker
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

john3347
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:30 am

Re: Default font

Post by john3347 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:28 am

sven-l wrote:Here you can find instructions how to change the default font:
http://www.freeoffice.com/en/support/tips/textmaker

Well, I opened Textmaker (the free edition) and clicked "file" > "open", and I typed Normal.tmv in the space at the bottom of the window that opened, and all I got was an error code informing me that "Normal.tmv not found", "file not found", "check the file name and try again." I tried again 3 or 4 times and got the same error code every time. Now what?

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team
Posts: 7484
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:26 am
Location: Nuremberg
Contact:

Re: Default font

Post by sven-l » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:33 am

It is important to select .tmv as file type (in the drop down below the field where you type in the file name). Then you should find the Normal.tmv.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

john3347
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:30 am

Re: Default font

Post by john3347 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:14 am

sven-l wrote:It is important to select .tmv as file type (in the drop down below the field where you type in the file name). Then you should find the Normal.tmv.
You are getting me in the correct direction, but I am not there yet. I was able to find and open Normal.tmv but I find no way to make that become the default. I finally gave up on the issue and when I tried to close the template, I got a window asking if I wanted to save changes to Normal.tmv. I checked "YES". I thought I had it as I wanted it, but alas, when I reopened TextMaker, it was not the new default. I am becoming quite displeased with this application at this point. Microsoft Office is getting entirely too difficult to find the configuration settings I desire and that is the problem that is bringing me to TextMaker. TextMaker seems to have settings more securely hidden and difficult than Office 2010.

When I have my preferences selected in Normal.tmv, how do I make that become default?

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team
Posts: 7484
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:26 am
Location: Nuremberg
Contact:

Re: Default font

Post by sven-l » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:22 am

1. First make sure that the Normal.tmv is open, not only a new file based on the Normal.tmv. You can see it in the upper blue bar at the top of the program window. It should show "Normal.tmv".
2. Then invoke Format=>Paragraph Style
3. Select the style "Normal" (which is the standard style for paragraphs) and click on "edit", then on "Character"
4. Now set your preferred font and font size
5. Click on "Ok", apply these settings and save the file
Result: If you now open a new file (File=>New) based on the Normal.tmv it should have your preferred font from the start.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

john3347
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:30 am

Re: Default font

Post by john3347 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:49 am

sven-l wrote:1. First make sure that the Normal.tmv is open, not only a new file based on the Normal.tmv. You can see it in the upper blue bar at the top of the program window. It should show "Normal.tmv".
2. Then invoke Format=>Paragraph Style
3. Select the style "Normal" (which is the standard style for paragraphs) and click on "edit", then on "Character"
4. Now set your preferred font and font size
5. Click on "Ok", apply these settings and save the file
Result: If you now open a new file (File=>New) based on the Normal.tmv it should have your preferred font from the start.


Thank you so very much. It is quite a complicated series of steps and should be much simpler, but I finally have what I was needing. I would never have been able to do this without your step by step instruction. I am very grateful for that. Thank You! I have looked and looked and have not even found a mention of instructions to create a preferred default font in the TextMaker Manual.

Off topic: I was in Mainz in the early 1960s in the U.S. Army. I have many fond memories of what was West Germany at that time.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team
Posts: 7484
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:26 am
Location: Nuremberg
Contact:

Re: Default font

Post by sven-l » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:02 am

john3347 wrote:It is quite a complicated series of steps and should be much simpler, but I finally have what I was needing.
It is much simpler in SoftMaker Office 2012 Standard and Professional: Select the desired character formatting directly in the dialog box Format=>Character, then click on the Set as default button.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team
Posts: 2894
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:57 pm
Location: Nürnberg, Germany
Contact:

Re: Default font

Post by martin-k » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:15 pm

This reminded me to finally rewrite the TextMaker tip on changing the default font. It should be much clearer now:

http://freeoffice.com/en/support/tips/textmaker
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Post Reply

Return to “FreeOffice TextMaker 2012 for Windows”