size of instalation

Post here those questions, bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker FreeOffice 2012 for Windows that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

greyowl

size of instalation

Post by greyowl » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:44 pm

I recently installed SM Free Office for Windows and Kingsoft WPS Free Office for Windows. Each of the downloads are about 60mb. However, there is a big difference in the size of the instalations. SM uses 84mb of space and Kingsoft uses 242mb of space. Both programs include a word processor, spreadsheet, and a presentation program.

I am wondering what would be the likely explanation for this significant difference and what this might say about the programs. More specifically, what does this say about the SM program?

Thanks for helping me to understand this.

Michael Uplawski
Location: Canton Magny (previously Canton Carrouges), Orne, Normandy (previously Lower Normandy)

Re: size of instalation

Post by Michael Uplawski » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:54 pm

Good evening.
greyowl wrote:SM uses 84mb of space and Kingsoft uses 242mb of space.
(...)
I am wondering what would be the likely explanation for this significant difference and what this might say about the programs. More specifically, what does this say about the SM program?
The size of an executable file (*.exe), the helper-applications, program libraries or other accessory files needed to fully deploy the possibilities of a complex software system (like a.., let's say “office-suite”), depends on so many factors that it is now rather illusory to make a guess at the origin of the differences if you had not been witness of the decision-taking or part of the development team.

Once, there was a virus scanner, which impressed by its size until people found out that the program files were mostly filled with binary zeros to blow it up. As far as I remember, this did not impede the program to operate quite normally.

As regards the consequences, things that are really of interest to the user, you know more about them as most people around, as you are the one to come to any conclusions. After having made your tests and comparisons, come back here and tell us!

Thank you.

Edit: missing word “of” added somewhere...
Last edited by Michael Uplawski on Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
People should go where they are not supposed to go, say what they are not supposed to say and stay, when they are told to leave.” (Howard Zinn)

greyowl

Post by greyowl » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:44 pm

Thanks for the posting.

I learned from another forum that this has to do with the compression used by the installer.

I have been using the two programs. I am impressed with how snappy Softmaker is. I also find many features of the program more sophisticated than with other word processing programs.

Michael Uplawski
Location: Canton Magny (previously Canton Carrouges), Orne, Normandy (previously Lower Normandy)

Post by Michael Uplawski » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:56 pm

Good evening.
greyowl wrote:I learned from another forum that this has to do with the compression used by the installer.
This would be fine, if both packages contained the exact same amount of binary, textual and ... (what else?) data. This is unlikely. The choices of file-formats for the documentation and even less obvious factors like its organisation (in chapters, files, books, screen shots) could have an influence which surmounts easily that of the compressor.
I have been using the two programs. I am impressed with how snappy Softmaker is. I also find many features of the program more sophisticated than with other word processing programs.
The word “snappy” is onomatopoeic enough for me to understand, although this is the first time that I read it in a relatively clear context... :) Yes, I remember this responsiveness even from working with a Windows® environment. As regards the sophistication, some discussions from the past reveal that it is subject to very personal perception. But as you compare to another non-MS office-suite, you are not affected by “de-facto” standards (which are none). Your evaluation is thus quite useful.

Thank you.
People should go where they are not supposed to go, say what they are not supposed to say and stay, when they are told to leave.” (Howard Zinn)

greyowl

Post by greyowl » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:00 pm

Thank you for the comments.

Return to “SoftMaker FreeOffice 2012 for Windows (General)”