Word processing and Lubuntu

Post here those questions, bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker Office 2012 for Linux that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

Post Reply
anon_private
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:09 pm

Word processing and Lubuntu

Post by anon_private » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:13 pm

FreeOffice

Hi,

I have Lubuntu 12.04 running from a USB

I have abiword as the word processor and am having problems with this package

Would the word processor in FreeOffice run well with just 512MB of memory? It needs to be al ight package.

Can the word processor be downloaded alone?

Will it self-install and what would happen to abiword installed on my machine.

Thanks

Kuno
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:38 pm
Location: Osnabrück / Germany

Re: Word processing and Lubuntu

Post by Kuno » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:29 am

anon_private wrote:FreeOffice

Hi,

I have Lubuntu 12.04 running from a USB

I have abiword as the word processor and am having problems with this package

Would the word processor in FreeOffice run well with just 512MB of memory? It needs to be al ight package.

Code: Select all

Yes
Can the word processor be downloaded alone?

Code: Select all

No. But its no problem to delete all files not needed by the word processor past install, so only textmaker is left over. Easiest way is to install the tgz-archive, since then the office will be installed in your home-folder. So for deleting files, you don't need to have root-access.
Will it self-install and what would happen to abiword installed on my machine.

Code: Select all

It will self install and nothing will happen to abiword, as long you don't deinstall it.
Thanks

anon_private
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:09 pm

Re: Word processing and Lubuntu

Post by anon_private » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:50 am

Thanks for responding

I have tried installing some programs in the past to Lubuntu on the USB and they usually only install in memory and delete on boot.

But I think you are saying that FreeOffice will install to Lubuntu on a USB stick.

Have I understood you correctly?

Best wishes.

A

Kuno
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:38 pm
Location: Osnabrück / Germany

Re: Word processing and Lubuntu

Post by Kuno » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:30 am

anon_private wrote:Thanks for responding

I have tried installing some programs in the past to Lubuntu on the USB and they usually only install in memory and delete on boot.

But I think you are saying that FreeOffice will install to Lubuntu on a USB stick.

Have I understood you correctly?

Best wishes.

A
OOOPS: If your are running just the lubuntu-iso from usb, then after installing freeoffice you have to first copy the complete freeoffice folder to another place on your usb-stick. Then open that folder and create a new empty file called "portable.txt" in there. Now you have a portable freeoffice. But this will not create any permanent launchers in the lxpanel-menu.

If you have Lubuntu really "installed" (like a harddisk-install) on usb, then the installation of freeoffice willm be permanent.
But reading your post, i presume, you just run the iso made bootable by unetbootin or so...

anon_private
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:09 pm

Re: Word processing and Lubuntu

Post by anon_private » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:44 pm

Thanks for responding,

I downloaded the iso file to a USB drive and used Unetbootin to create a bootable drive. Unetbootinn expanded all the files on the USB and the directories are there.

Is this an install?

Thanks

Ps. When you say install FreeOffice are you saying that I must first install it the the hard drive before copying it to the USB?

Kuno
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:38 pm
Location: Osnabrück / Germany

Re: Word processing and Lubuntu

Post by Kuno » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:26 am

First of all: Happy New Year!
anon_private wrote:I downloaded the iso file to a USB drive and used Unetbootin to create a bootable drive. Unetbootinn expanded all the files on the USB and the directories are there.
Is this an install?
Not really. It's just a bootable live-usb. On boot, the system is decompressed from the filesystem.squashfs in the /casper folder and the system runs in ram. So if you install new software or change preferences like e.g. desktop-themes, those changes get lost on reboot since the system can't write into the squashfs-archive. A "real" install would be invoked by doubleclicking the "Install Lubuntu" icon on the top left of your live-usb desktop.
anon_private wrote: Ps. When you say install FreeOffice are you saying that I must first install it the the hard drive before copying it to the USB?
You might also install it onto your Lubuntu livesystem running from usb and -when install has finished - copy the freeoffice folder to the root of your usb-stick via PCManFm-filemanager. Then put a "portable.txt" file into that folder (that file does not have to have any content). Afterwards to run the programs you always have to start them from within the filemanager. Because of that "portable.txt" file all the configs of the programs are stored in a ".softmaker"-folder under /freeoffice. Changes of the program configuration remain permanent.

Hope this helps..

BTW: Since this is thread is referenced to "freeoffice" and not the fullblown 2012-version is might be shifted to the appropriate forum... Admin(s) :?:

anon_private
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:09 pm

Re: Word processing and Lubuntu

Post by anon_private » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:01 pm

Happy New Year to you.

These are very good and clear answers.

I was wondering about installing Lubuntu 12,10 to the hard disk.

If I click on the install icon, I wonder what options I will be given, eg where to install; to keep the current OS; the amount of partition space needed etc.

In addition, I do wonder how one upgrades or even removes Lubuntu once it is installed?

Best wishes.

A.

Ps I assume that the word processor in FreeOffice supports Microsoft fornates, e.g., .doc

Kuno
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:38 pm
Location: Osnabrück / Germany

Re: Word processing and Lubuntu

Post by Kuno » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:54 am

anon_private wrote:If I click on the install icon, I wonder what options I will be given, eg where to install; to keep the current OS; the amount of partition space needed etc.

In addition, I do wonder how one upgrades or even removes Lubuntu once it is installed?
First it would be interesting to know, which your current OS is and how your harddisk is partitioned. The (L)ubuntu installer gives you all the options (erase old system, keep old system and install on separate partition, shrink old partition to provide place for a new one, install bootloader into lubuntu partition rather than mbr of first partition. Done right, you get a multiboot setup that lets you choose, which OS to boot.
Upgradeing Lubuntu after install can be done by the package-manager. If i remember correctly, (L)ubuntu even has a dist-upgrade function, that would let you update from 12.10 to 13.04. For removing Lubuntu, you'd just erase the lubuntu partition from within your other OS.
BTW: for details on all this you could search the ubuntu forums. There you should find enough hints to guide you through an install.
anon_private wrote:Ps I assume that the word processor in FreeOffice supports Microsoft fornates, e.g., .doc
It does! More info here on http://freeoffice.com/en/features

anon_private
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:09 pm

Re: Word processing and Lubuntu

Post by anon_private » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:14 pm

Thanks for responding.

My current OS is LiveUSB Lubuntu because my original OS, Vista Home Premium, will not function - probably due to the fact that I only have 512MB of RAM at present.

It looks straight forward, other than the deletion of Lubuntu. Since Vista will not function at present, would I be able to delete Lubuntu if I wanted to?

Thanks

A

Kuno
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:38 pm
Location: Osnabrück / Germany

Re: Word processing and Lubuntu

Post by Kuno » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:49 pm

anon_private wrote:Thanks for responding.

My current OS is LiveUSB Lubuntu because my original OS, Vista Home Premium, will not function - probably due to the fact that I only have 512MB of RAM at present.

It looks straight forward, other than the deletion of Lubuntu. Since Vista will not function at present, would I be able to delete Lubuntu if I wanted to?

Thanks

A
Yes, you can delete an installed Lubuntu also through your LiveUSB. Lubuntu has a partition editor called "Gparted" which lets you resize, delete and also generate new partitions. The LiveUSB should find and mount your harddrive partitions just fine.

Post Reply

Return to “SoftMaker Office 2012 for Linux (General)”