Filling empty cells with zeros (How do I ???)

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for PlanMaker 2012 for Linux.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

arobbo

Filling empty cells with zeros (How do I ???)

Post by arobbo » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:23 am

Hi SoftMaker Team and community,
currently tearing my hair out on something I thought should be simple - and probably is, but I can't work it out. I have large tables (20 columns, 400 rows templated over 15 worksheets) from a colleague using XLXS format, absolutely no problems with reading and general manipulations, and I'm very happy with that :)
However, for I simply cannot successfully convert the empty cells to a "0". I have tried "Search... Replace", and cell formulas like If(J4,"",0,J4) (for example - should read the value of the cell and return a 0 if empty, or unchanged if not empty) formulations, but nothing seems to work. I have deselected the earlier "linked" worksheets for making multiple changes simultaneously across all, I thought that might have been a 'gotcha'. I can't even "find" the empty cells using the "Search" function (e.g., attached), and that is probably the nub of the issue. Any suggestions would be gratefully received, as the instructions in the manual aren't working for me yet,

Best Wishes,
arobbo
(Planmaker12 for Linux, rev 691)
Attachments
filling_empty_cells.jpg

arobbo

Re: Filling empty cells with zeros (How do I ???)

Post by arobbo » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:45 am

... I think I found it - have to "select" my workspace cells and Format> Cell> Number... first :oops:
UPDATE: so now I can "find" the empty cells, I just can't use the "replace" option as nothing is changed and the search goes on to the next empty cell. Looked into the "Protection" options my colleague may have chosen, and removed everything that may have been protected, but still no change in the ability to insert zeros in the empty cells.
Still working on it...

Jim-J
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by Jim-J » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:43 am

Hello,

We asked our developer team if there is a solution for this issue. As soon as we get response, we will post it.
Jim J.
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Jim-J
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by Jim-J » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:56 am

Here the answer from our developer team:

#1: There's no way to search for empty cells and fill them automatically. In general you should leave empty cells empty, since empty cells consume less memory than filled cells and are faster to process in general editing.

#2: When empty cells are used in calculations they are treated as 0 or empty string, depending on the formula, that's why the IF() doesn't work. You can use the IsBlank() function to detect if a cell is empty or not.
Jim J.
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “PlanMaker 2012 for Linux”