Linest function doesn't accept ranges?

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for PlanMaker 2012 for Linux.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

LanceGary

Linest function doesn't accept ranges?

Post by LanceGary » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:32 pm

I tried to use the Linest function today in Planmaker for Linux (2012) (installed on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS), and to my surprise found that it threw up an error message saying that it was expecting values as arguments. It seems that it does not accept ranges for the x- and the y-values in the regression relationship? This is different from MS Excel (and Librecalc which I ended up using instead of Planmaker). I also think it makes the function rather useless except for trivially small data sets. I am not sure that this was how you intended the function to operate but I hope that you will adjust it to accept ranges in the future.

Lance

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Linest function doesn't accept ranges?

Post by sven-l » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:10 am

Could you please send us a sample file where this problem occurs in PlanMaker but not in MS Excel to forum(at)softmaker.de referring to that thread?

Thank you!
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

LanceGary

Post by LanceGary » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:24 pm

sven-l wrote:Could you please send us a sample file where this problem occurs in PlanMaker but not in MS Excel to forum(at)softmaker.de referring to that thread?

Thank you!
I think this is a problem with the Linux version of Planmaker (well I'm using the Debian installer). I am at work and don't have access to the Linux machine at the moment but the problem doesn't occur in Planmaker for Windows or in Excel. But I assure you I couldn't get the Linest function to work in the Linux version. I will attach a Windows Planmaker 2012 file and an Excel 2010 file where Linest works, and when I get chance I will upload the Linux Planmaker 2012 file where the Linest function does not.

Lance
Attachments
excel-linest.xlsx
(11.02 KiB) Downloaded 185 times
Planmaker-windows-linest.pmd
(20.5 KiB) Downloaded 245 times

LanceGary

Post by LanceGary » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:39 pm

LanceGary wrote:
sven-l wrote:Could you please send us a sample file where this problem occurs in PlanMaker but not in MS Excel to forum(at)softmaker.de referring to that thread?

Thank you!
I think this is a problem with the Linux version of Planmaker (well I'm using the Debian installer). I am at work and don't have access to the Linux machine at the moment but the problem doesn't occur in Planmaker for Windows or in Excel. But I assure you I couldn't get the Linest function to work in the Linux version. I will attach a Windows Planmaker 2012 file and an Excel 2010 file where Linest works, and when I get chance I will upload the Linux Planmaker 2012 file where the Linest function does not.

Lance
OK I got it to work (that is the linest function with ranges). It seems that planmaker was using a decimal comma, and I was writing the formula using commas to separate parameters of the function. Changing the decimal comma to a decimal point fixed the function. I'm not really sure what punctuation is used to separate the parameters of a function if you are using a decimal comma. Anyway, sorry about troubling you.

Lance

Return to “PlanMaker 2012 for Linux”