Performance on modern HD hardware

Post here those questions, bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker Office Mobile for Android that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

JornadaGuy

Performance on modern HD hardware

Post by JornadaGuy » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:26 pm

I have been using SoftMaker office for PC and Windows CE for years and was an early adopter for your Android products. So far I have been pleased and use especially Planmaker on a daily basis on my Acer A500 dual-core tablet.

Recently I decided it was time to upgrade so I went with the Acer A700 Tegra 3 with (1920x1200)HD display. It's a nice tablet running Jelly Bean 4.1.1 and performs faster and smoother than my earlier devices.

That is why it was so surprising that the Softmaker apps were VERY sluggish. Selecting a range of cells in Planmaker was so bad that I would pull my finger to the bottom of the screen and it would very slowly grab an extra row at a time - however when letting go it continued selecting more rows on it's own for probably 20 seconds! Textmaker felt sluggish as well. My tablet came with Polaris Office and frankly I don't like it but it runs nice and smoothly.

I was about to give up on Softmaker for Android when I decided to check the options. I had OpenGL Acceleration turned on and decided to see how things were without the OpenGL Acceleration. To my surprise, Planmaker and Textmaker were more responsive WITHOUT hardware acceleration! Still, not as responsive as other apps like Polaris but usable enough that I don't have to switch.

This is a problem. While my A700 is not the top of the performance heap it is easily in the top 25% and I know that it's Tegra 3 3D performance is rather good. As mentioned, Software Office for Android is the ONLY app I have that seems to run sluggish. I assume the high resolution display is part of the issue but it really seems the apps need to be updated and optimized to handle modern hardware better.

Anybody else seen this problem?

I should note that my A700 is NOT loaded up with junk apps and kids games. It's a productivity tool for me and I keep it lean. Quite a few of the bundled junk apps are disabled to keep the system running smoothly.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Performance on modern HD hardware

Post by sven-l » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:23 am

I referred your problem to the developers. Are you working with rev.678 or an older version of SoftMaker Office for Android?
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

JornadaGuy

Post by JornadaGuy » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:58 pm

Thanks Sven.

Yes, I am using 678.325 for all apps. If you need me to test anything specifically let me know.

Scott

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:50 am

Thank you!
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

JornadaGuy

Post by JornadaGuy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:11 pm

I assume that the 1920x1200 HD screen may be the real issue that the Softmaker apps are having trouble with. My mother uses Softmaker on her 7" Google Nexus tablet and the apps performs well on that machine with a Tegra 3 and a 1280x800 screen. Again though, the A700 has no trouble driving the 1920 HD screen. Full HD video, full screen animation, etc. all display very smoothly. That leads me to believe that the Softmaker apps need optimization.

Aldan55

Post by Aldan55 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:54 am

While not that many consumer applications are available yet, we can still say that Performance on modern HD hardware has reached maturity.
Aldan55

Return to “SoftMaker Office Mobile for Android (General)”