Dishonest?

Post here those questions, bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker Office Mobile for Android that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

ricky_f

Dishonest?

Postby ricky_f » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:48 pm

(Not sure this is the right forum, move if not.)

I have downloaded the "free" versions of Textmaker and Planmaker for Android from the G play store. Ominously these carry "trial" in the filename and indeed, after install, tell me that they're 30-day trial versions. This is at best misleading and at worst dishonest.

I'm a SM Office desktop user for a good while and I have recommended a product (SM Office Windows) that in my opinion deserves to be more widely known to many people. I will stop doing that now and instead warn people about such practices.

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Dishonest?

Postby martin-k » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:51 pm

What you are writing is not correct.

The "Free Office Mobile" versions are fully functional and not time-limited. They are in the "slots" of the old trial versions that we do not offer anymore, which means they must carry "trial" in their class names. But they are definitely unlimited.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

ricky_f

Postby ricky_f » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:14 pm

martin-k wrote:What you are writing is not correct.
Sorry, Martin, but what I wrote is 100% correct. I installed the apps (yesterday) from the Google play store, started them (actually only Planmaker) and immediately received a notification window telling me that this is a trial version running for 30 days only. Now I do not know whether the apps will indeed stop working after 30 days but it's not my job to find out.

In today's world full of crappy, untrustworthy stuff this is not the way forward. If an app that's marketed as free tells me first thing it's a 30-day trial... well, thanks, but no thanks. There are other offers which do not show such a questionable behaviour.

I stand by my words that this is dishonest. Anybody can check what happens after installing the apps and starting them and decide whether they think this is appropriate for an app that calls itself "free".

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Postby martin-k » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:28 pm

Hundreds of thousands of users have done what you did and have received the full, free versions.

Have you confused SoftMaker FreeOffice Mobile and SoftMaker Office HD? Of the latter, we are indeed offering trial versions.

This is Free Office TextMaker Mobile, permanently free:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... makertrial

This is the trial version of TextMaker HD, part of SoftMaker Office HD, working for 30 days:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rial&hl=en
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

ricky_f

Postby ricky_f » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:44 pm

martin-k wrote:Have you confused SoftMaker FreeOffice Mobile and SoftMaker Office HD? Of the latter, we are indeed offering trial versions.
No, I haven't. Before posting, I double checked everything.

The sequence went exactly as I described in post #3; there was absolutely nothing I could have done differently. Install the app, start it... et voila, the 30-day trial notification pops up immediately. I am pretty sure I can re-install and the same thing will happen... perhaps I should video the whole sequence and post this here.

Anyway, very disappointing show by Softmaker and that's EOD for me.

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Postby martin-k » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:30 pm

Rick, I am really trying to help you here. We gain nothing by disguising a trial version as a full version, and if you read the reviews at Google Play, you will see that nobody complains about such a sleight of hand.

If you post a video or e-mail it to forum (at) softmaker.de , I will try to figure out what is going on.

Also, you could start TextMaker again, click on Menu, Tools, About and let us know the revision number shown there.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Tronthomps0n

Postby Tronthomps0n » Wed May 31, 2017 2:05 pm

Just to add, I have the same version that you do and installed it with the full version access, not time gated.

Return to “SoftMaker Office Mobile for Android (General)”