Spell checker

Post bug reports and suggestions for TextMaker 2012 for Linux.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

maihoaomv

Spell checker

Postby maihoaomv » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:27 am

I've been using/testing the Linux beta version of Textmaker and for the most part it's doing ok. One of the things I find very annoying is the spell checker. Hunspell sucks to say the least. It's very limited in it's word suggestions and often as not suggest nothing or something not even close. If you're bad at spelling like I am this can be a serious limitation.

I'm using Artha to search for the correct spelling of words and compared to the Textmaker built-in spell checker, it usually comes up with something that at least puts me in the ballpark.
OpenOffice and LibreOffice and even my old MS word 2003 does a better job at suggesting spelling than Textmaker. Even this forums spell checker does a better job than Textmaker. (run this word Simitianosly through Textmaker, you're see what I mean)

I don't know if the spell checker is at fault or the Hunspell Dictionary but my suggestion would be to either improve the spell checker capabilities or allow a different dictionary (Word Net maybe) to be installed and used with Textmaker instead of the Hunspell dictionary.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Spell checker

Postby sven-l » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:12 am

If you use the hunspell dictionary, you are using an open source spell checking dictionary. We suggest to use the TextMaker built-in dictionaries.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

maihoaomv

Postby maihoaomv » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:55 pm

That's what I'm using is the built in Textmaker spell checker. Like I said in my post, the Textmaker spell checker sucks.
I'm having to use an external program to make up for the short comings of the Textmaker spell checker.

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Postby martin-k » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:13 pm

TextMaker's own spell checker (which does NOT use Hunspell) has high-quality word lists, and makes reasonable suggestions. The word Simitianosly is so heavily malformed that TextMaker will not even suggest Simultaneously (it contains four typos). Else you would be flooded with suggestions of words that have no relation to the original word.

Is your complaint only in regard to word suggestions, or do you have other problems with the spell checker?

Incidentally, there is not a single hit in Google for "Simitianosly". It seems nobody ever spelled the word this way... 8)
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

maihoaomv

Postby maihoaomv » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:56 am

You're right it does have multiple errors. That was intentional. Then why doesn't OpenOffice and LibreOffice have a problem with suggesting a spelling for Simitianosly. Simultaneously was at the very top of the list for both programs but Textmaker returns no suggestion, nothing, zero, zilch. In the spell checker for this forum the correct spelling was the second suggestion. Try it in this forum, you'll see what I mean.

FYI: When I searched for Simitianosly on Google, this is what Google returned.
Did you mean: Simultaneously
Right at the very top in red letters. Even Google got it right

Word suggestion and the lack thereof is the problem. The Textmaker spell checker just isn't up to the task and I suspect it probably lags way behind microsoft word. For sure it lags behind OpenOffice. Don't care what you use for your spell checker. It just needs to improved.

Return to “Public beta: TextMaker 2012 for Linux”