Two glitches in second beta PARTLY SOLVED in third beta :)

Post bug reports and suggestions for TextMaker 2012 for Linux.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

kgha

Two glitches in second beta PARTLY SOLVED in third beta :)

Postby kgha » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:14 pm

1) excessive cpu load (>95 %) and the same typing lag that has been reported earlier: http://www.softmaker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=200&t=11383
This occurs after typing just a few words in an empty document. cpu load varies from 5 to 95 % during writing.
Unticking 'Use XIM' in Tools>Options>System makes no difference. 'Use SHM extensions' is ticked but greyed out so I can't change that.

2) A .ttf font (attached with extra suffix .txt added) doesn't show up, and is not recognised when opening a document containing the same font. GillSansStd.ttf (also installed) shows up OK. The same happens in Abiword, but OpenOffice handles it OK, showing both fonts in the 'Font' dropdown menu.
EDIT: The free Win version of Softmaker (Freeoffice) handles GillSansStd-Light.ttf without problems (shows up next to GillSansStd).

Softmaker installed in Linux distro FluxFlux 2010 (slackware12.2) on a eee900 (1GB RAM). Tested also in FluxFlux2011 (slackware13.1) - same problems.
Last edited by kgha on Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Two glitches in second beta

Postby martin-k » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:47 am

(Please do not post commercial fonts here. I delete the attachment.)
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Postby sven-l » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:21 am

I will write you a PM.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

DavidAJA

Postby DavidAJA » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:53 am

I have the same problem (hig CPU load) when edit a DOCX document. I use Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, with SoftMaker TextMaker 2012.
After write few words on TextMaker, the program runs to slow. After 5 or 7 lines i must wait to see how each lettter appear on screen. This make tedious if some correction is needed, because the keyboard not respond on Text Maker until the text end to appear and the mouse turns slow inside program.

NOTE: The document contains only text and a list with bullets.
The document was made on TextMaker previously and saved as Word 2010.

CPU: Phenom II 4GB Ram Ubuntu 12.04LTS
Language: Spanish

DavidAJA

Postby DavidAJA » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:22 am

After read the "Typing lag" Post, and try the recomendations i concluded that the XIM not make great diference.
I experiment with the Word document to send, when i try to check spelling.
I disable the Automatic separation of syllables and save the document, when i reopened the system work fine.
When i re enable Automatic separation of syllables the system turns slow.

Coud be the grammar system?

David Atonaltzin

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Postby martin-k » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:24 pm

Please try if beta 3 makes a difference. We made some enhancements, but they are like shooting in the dark: the typing lag cannot be reproduced on any system here.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

kgha

Re: Two glitches in second beta SOLVED in third beta :)

Postby kgha » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:01 pm

The shooting in the dark has been at least partly successful - nice work! The developers deserve an applause =D>
When opening a new document, typing lag no longer noticeable. CPU load is still high, between 30 and 60 % (eee900 with the lousy Intel Celeron processor). This is much higher than when I run OpenOffice (around 15 %), but without >95 % peaks, and not high enough to cause typing lag.

However, when I open/edit documents old documents created in MSWord or OO, and especially if the format/layout is a bit more complex (images, headers/footers), typing lag and high CPU load (99 %) still occur.

The .ttf font that wasn't recognised in previous beta version has reappeared!

(Post edited Sunday 23rd, 18.00 CEST)

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Two glitches in second beta PARTLY SOLVED in third beta

Postby martin-k » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:46 am

kgha, could you please provide one or more sample documents that demonstrate the remaining speed issues? Please send them to forum (at) softmaker.de referencing this thread.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “Public beta: TextMaker 2012 for Linux”