Some observations

Post bug reports and suggestions for TextMaker 2012 for Linux.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

gminnerup

Some observations

Post by gminnerup » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:07 pm

I had a power cut today, and upon restarting Textmaker the file I had been working on was restored but with some text missing. It had been saved though and reappeared when reloaded from disk.
The typing cursor flickers irritatingly (OpenSuse 12.1 64bit, KDE 4.9) while entering text.
Can the word count be made more easily accessible, perhaps as a menu item distinct from File/Properties/Statistics, or even better self-updating in the status bar?

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Some observations

Post by sven-l » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:43 am

gminnerup wrote:I had a power cut today, and upon restarting Textmaker the file I had been working on was restored but with some text missing. It had been saved though and reappeared when reloaded from disk.
In Tools=>Options=>Files you can set the time interval for the autosave function. You could set it to e.g. 1 minute to make sure that most of you text is kept if TextMaker or your system crashes again.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:44 am

gminnerup wrote: The typing cursor flickers irritatingly (OpenSuse 12.1 64bit, KDE 4.9) while entering text.
Please disable SHM and XIM in Tools=>Options=>System. Does that help?
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:45 am

gminnerup wrote: Can the word count be made more easily accessible, perhaps as a menu item distinct from File/Properties/Statistics, or even better self-updating in the status bar?
I will refer that as a feature request to the developers but there is already an word counter included. Just invoke View=>Toolbars and enable "Statistics". Now you should see a small window with the word count in the bottom right corner of the TextMaker window. All you need to do is to to click "Update" from time to time.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

gminnerup

Post by gminnerup » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:15 pm

sven-l wrote:
gminnerup wrote: Can the word count be made more easily accessible, perhaps as a menu item distinct from File/Properties/Statistics, or even better self-updating in the status bar?
I will refer that as a feature request to the developers but there is already an word counter included. Just invoke View=>Toolbars and enable "Statistics". Now you should see a small window with the word count in the bottom right corner of the TextMaker window. All you need to do is to to click "Update" from time to time.
Wasn't aware of that, thanks for the tip. Better than nothing but not as good as a live update in the status bar!

gminnerup

Post by gminnerup » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:17 pm

sven-l wrote:
gminnerup wrote: The typing cursor flickers irritatingly (OpenSuse 12.1 64bit, KDE 4.9) while entering text.
No it doesn't I'm afraid.

gminnerup

Post by gminnerup » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:19 pm

sven-l wrote:
gminnerup wrote:I had a power cut today, and upon restarting Textmaker the file I had been working on was restored but with some text missing. It had been saved though and reappeared when reloaded from disk.
In Tools=>Options=>Files you can set the time interval for the autosave function. You could set it to e.g. 1 minute to make sure that most of you text is kept if TextMaker or your system crashes again.
I think you misunderstood: the problem was that the bits missing had already been fully saved. Yet the restored file did not include them. Surely a restore of an unsaved file shouldn't offer any less than the last saved version (assuming nothing's been deleted since the last save, of course)?

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:36 am

gminnerup wrote:
sven-l wrote:
No it doesn't I'm afraid.
I can confirm this with OpenSuse 12.1 32bit and informed the developers.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:48 pm

This bug has been solved and should no longer occur in the next beta.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

gminnerup

Post by gminnerup » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:19 pm

sven-l wrote:
I can confirm this with OpenSuse 12.1 32bit and informed the developers.
Still there with Beta 2.

Return to “Public beta: TextMaker 2012 for Linux”