TextMaker & Mac OS X

Help for TextMaker 2002 for Handheld PCs

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

gee

TextMaker & Mac OS X

Post by gee » Mon May 15, 2006 10:23 pm

i'm using the demo mode for HPC & i'm finding that TextMaker rocks. however, i'm having a few problems.

first, when creating on HPC & then saving into an RTF or MS, or whatever file any image i placed is gone (replaced with symbols) when opening on my Mac. worse depending on the format i save the file in it will not open. i have tried opening in Word (MS Office for OS X), AppleWorks 6 & Textedit. i have heard?? that in the demo mode i can't save in RTF or MS Word to open on a Mac Is this true?

second, i don't have a PC, only Virtual PC 2000. Activesync, not even Beta 4.2, will allow a connection. i unzipped the.exe & installed everything into english just fine. the problem, i can't register. i get a message saying "can't find index.htm or one of it's compenents."

i'm a cultural artist that travels extensively. i don't like to take my Mac, due to value & size, but always take my HPC MP 780. having this program & being able to open my files on my Mac would be huge.

thanks for your help.

Tobias-L

Re: TextMaker & Mac OS X

Post by Tobias-L » Wed May 17, 2006 3:25 pm

gee wrote:first, when creating on HPC & then saving into an RTF or MS, or whatever file any image i placed is gone (replaced with symbols) when opening on my Mac. worse depending on the format i save the file in it will not open. i have tried opening in Word (MS Office for OS X), AppleWorks 6 & Textedit. i have heard?? that in the demo mode i can't save in RTF or MS Word to open on a Mac Is this true?
This is strange, as we tested our software for compatibility with Word for Apple Macintosh and the files were opened fine. What exact version of Word do you use?
Saving in Word and RTF file format does work in the trial, but only for the first few days.
gee wrote:second, i don't have a PC, only Virtual PC 2000. Activesync, not even Beta 4.2, will allow a connection. i unzipped the.exe & installed everything into english just fine. the problem, i can't register. i get a message saying "can't find index.htm or one of it's compenents."
You don't need to have ActiveSync. You can install it manually. There is a tutorial for the Pocket PC version, but for Handheld PCs this is very similar:
http://www.softmaker.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1707
Tobias Leißner
SoftMaker Software GmbH

gee

MS Word version

Post by gee » Thu May 18, 2006 9:13 pm

Tobias

so far, thanks for the info. . .

my version says Microsoft Word X for Mac Service Release 1. it's part of Office X for Mac. i tried saving in .rtf & Word formats the same day i installed TM. i also tried TextEdit & AplleWorks 6. anything saved on my NEC opened with symbols or not did not open on my Mac. anything saved on my Mac, in either of these three apps, either did not open or opened with text & symbols. no photos in any OS attempt.

what are your thoughts?

can i uninstall TextMaker & then reinstall to attempt my efforts again.

of course i want to buy the app & use it cross platform but if i can't validate TextMakers claims then i'm affraid i'm had.

looking forward to your new thoughtd of making this work.

Tobias-L

Post by Tobias-L » Fri May 19, 2006 8:45 am

Please send me some doc files crashing Word X for Apple Macintosh, so we can take a look at it. Please send the files to support(at)softmaker.de
What Mac do you use?
Tobias Leißner
SoftMaker Software GmbH

gee

version that work, don't work

Post by gee » Fri May 19, 2006 1:55 pm

Tobias

Please find the folder with samples per your request.
In the file are two photos. One is a .gif I found in your TM folder. The other is my photo. A jpeg that is very small.

The .doc file freezes my NEC.
I get mixed results using the .tmd format on my NEC. Of course I can’t open those in Mac.
The .rtf file works on my NEC.

Since my last forum response I have found that I can make on my NEC a file using either photo, & save it as an .rtf. it will close on my NEC. I can transfer it to my Mac, an iBook 14” G4 operating on 10.4.5,. I can open it in Word add to it, save it transfer back to my NEC open it but not have any photos, or shapes, only the original or new text, in it.

Anything I do on my NEC that I save as a .doc freezes my NEC. A soft reset reveals nothing on that file.

Files that use photos that are very large & saved as an .rtf will not open in Word on my Mac it give me an error message. If I scale down the same photos used & save it in an .rtf format the file will open. So it seems very large photos, those taken directly out my Kodak v570 digital camera are too big.

If I save an .rtf into a Word .doc sometimes it won’t open on my NEC.

Let me know what else you need to know. I’m not a programmer or a tech so I’m probably leaving something out in my notes.

sent sample via email response. i'n not sure where how to send things to the support.de.

Thanks for your interest & help with this.

gee

follow up with TM & Mac OS X

Post by gee » Thu May 25, 2006 11:02 pm

Tobias

on sunday last, i bought TM for the HPC. seems that the registered version works better that the demo.

i can save in .rtf on my NEC 780 & open that file in MS Word for OS X in an .rtf format on OS X. it keeps text formatting & photos but no shapes. no photos when transfering back the NEC. hmmm. . .

i can save on my NEC 780 in MS Word 6.0/95 & open the file in .doc format in Word on OS X. sometimes my text formatting is off, but i have photos & shapes. and whats better is that they stay when saved on Mac & opened on my NEC.

everything works as Quark 6.0 in OS X. i'm a univ. prof. teaching design & desktop publishing. so when i say TM is like Quark 6.0 i know what i'm talking about.

all in all a great program for a way out of date system. thanks for your help. oh, i may have more question in future.

Tobias-L

Post by Tobias-L » Mon May 29, 2006 11:54 am

Thanks for getting back to us, and thanks for the great feedback.
Maybe the Word on Mac cannot open your RTF files, as we have to save images in about three different formats in the RTF file to meet the RTF specifications.
Tobias Leißner
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “TextMaker 2002 for Handheld PCs”