64-bit Debian Installation

Post bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker Office2012 for Linux.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

busprof

64-bit Debian Installation

Post by busprof » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:00 pm

I have the 64-bit Debian version installed and running well. I did encounter one issue during installation. The 64-bit Debian package requires the ia32-libs package (which pulls in a few additional 32-bit libraries as well). The need for these libraries only became clear when the initial attempt at installation failed and generated errors regarding the missing dependency.

I suggest that the needed ia32-libs dependency should be noted on the installation download page so that users can install this library before they attempt to install softmaker-office-2012_669-01_amd64.deb.

In case you need my system info, here is some information:

CPU: 2x Intel Core2 Duo
RAM: 2051MB
Operating System: Debian Wheezy (Testing)
Window Manager/Desktop Environment: Window Maker 0.95.3
Package Manager: Aptitude

I used dpkg -i once I had downloaded the installation package softmaker-office-2012_669-01_amd64.deb and aptitude to find and install the appropriate ia32-libs package.

bennachie

Re: 64-bit Debian Installation

Post by bennachie » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:56 pm

The 64-bit version is really a 32-bit version that prompts the user to pull in a swag of 32-bit packages so that it can work properly. I have problems with this philosophy, and doubt that the omission you have identified is the only one that will come to light. What is the point of a 64-bit version that requires the user to pre-install 32-bit packages?

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:32 am

According to http://www.softmaker.com/english/tipslinux_en.htm:

The required 32-bit libraries for the 64bit .deb archive will be installed automatically during the installation process.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

busprof

Post by busprof » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:46 am

sven-l wrote:According to http://www.softmaker.com/english/tipslinux_en.htm:

The required 32-bit libraries for the 64bit .deb archive will be installed automatically during the installation process.
Yes, I did see that, but the required libraries were not installed automatically. This may be due to the use of a CLI package management tool (aptitude) rather than a package manager or software manager such as those found in Ubuntu or Linux Mint, which automate dependency resolution / download to a greater extent than aptitude. Aptitude did recognize and identify the missing libraries, so I was not held up too much during the install, but it would have been nice to have the dependencies spelled out in advance, especially since these dependencies must be installed prior to the actual installation of Softmaker.

All-in-all - no real problem, just a suggestion for consideration by your website team.

Thanks

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:29 am

busprof wrote: All-in-all - no real problem, just a suggestion for consideration by your website team.
Thanks
We are currently updating the page (http://www.softmaker.com/english/tipslinux_en.htm).
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “Public beta: General”