A plethora of problems

Post bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker Office2012 for Linux.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

Axolotl

A plethora of problems

Post by Axolotl » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:54 am

Hello.

After playing around with the beta a bit, I noticed some issues in TextMaker:

- Some references to UI elements in the tips of the day are inconsistent in terms of capitalization. For example, in a tip, it says "... by calling up "Tip Of The Day" in the "Help" menu" while the actual menu item is capitalized as "Tip of the Day". It's also inconsistent in that sometimes the names of drop-down menus are in quotation marks and sometimes they're not. For example, there's ""Help" menu" in the tip about tips of the day and simply "Window menu" (without quotation marks) in the tip about getting a list of currently-opened documents.

Also, I noticed that asterisks are used for emphasis (for example, "To switch to a different printer driver *without*...". It would probably be more professional to put to-be-emphasized terms in bold instead.

- Perhaps it would be good to have a "Previous Tip" button.

- Typing is irritatingly slow, but it's fine on TextMaker 2008.

- The languages in the interface language selection menu aren't in alphabetical order.

Also, the item for Traditional Chinese is in abbreviated English instead of Chinese.

- Chinese text doesn't display in the interface properly; I just get empty boxes. Arabic text seems to display in the interface fine, though. And yes, I do have plenty of CJK fonts installed.

- Trying to paste certain Unicode characters in a document sometimes results in their being mangled. For example, trying to paste "無" results in this appearing: "ê™®"; trying to paste "ᚹ" gives me: "áš¹"

- Font substituon seems to be broken. For example, if I have Times New Roman set and I try to paste a CJK character or some other "unusual" character, I get empty boxes. Sometimes, though (usually after the first attempt), it just gets mangled as described in the point above.

I'm using the 64-bit build of rev 668.809 on Debian testing.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: A plethora of problems

Post by sven-l » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:08 pm

Thanks! I will report these issues to our developers.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:55 pm

The reason for the problem with the Chinese user interface might be because your system font doesn't contain Chinese characters.
You should either make sure that you system fonts contains these characters or switch in Tools>Options>Appearance to a Linux (gray) dialog style, instead of Linux (System). This way the TextMaker internal font with the correct characters will be used.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:20 pm

Axolotl wrote: - Trying to paste certain Unicode characters in a document sometimes results in their being mangled. For example, trying to paste "無" results in this appearing: "ê™®"; trying to paste "ᚹ" gives me: "áš¹"
What is the source application where you copied the text from?
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:22 pm

Axolotl wrote: - Font substituon seems to be broken. For example, if I have Times New Roman set and I try to paste a CJK character or some other "unusual" character, I get empty boxes. Sometimes, though (usually after the first attempt), it just gets mangled as described in the point above.
Looks like a font problem. Does it also happen if you copy the Times New Roman ttf file from a Windows machine and install it in your Linux?
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Axolotl

Post by Axolotl » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:31 pm

sven-l wrote: The reason for the problem with the Chinese user interface might be because your system font doesn't contain Chinese characters.
You should either make sure that you system fonts contains these characters or switch in Tools>Options>Appearance to a Linux (gray) dialog style, instead of Linux (System). This way the TextMaker internal font with the correct characters will be used.
Yes, this appears to be the problem.
sven-l wrote: What is the source application where you copied the text from?
KCharSelect and KWrite.
sven-l wrote: Looks like a font problem. Does it also happen if you copy the Times New Roman ttf file from a Windows machine and install it in your Linux?
It does.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:01 am

Thank you! I will inform the developers.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:53 pm

sven-l wrote:
Axolotl wrote: - Trying to paste certain Unicode characters in a document sometimes results in their being mangled. For example, trying to paste "無" results in this appearing: "ê™®"; trying to paste "ᚹ" gives me: "áš¹"
What is the source application where you copied the text from?
This bug has been solved and should no longer occur in the next Beta.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “Public beta: General”