File formats question

Post here those questions, bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker Office 2012 for Windows that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

Perobal

File formats question

Post by Perobal » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:01 am

Hello. First time posting here as a relatively new SoftMaker Office user. After using Microsoft Office since the days of Office 97 I have finally been frustrated by the amount of drive space it requires. Having recently replaced my faithful old laptop with an HP Stream disk space was a real issue. I installed the 2012 version as a trial and basically fell in love! Less than an hour later I paid for a license. It requires only about a tenth of MSO's drive space and does everything I need as my needs are not complex. I use only Textmaker and Planmaker, and have been amazed at how well they handle over ten years worth of Word and Excel files. My question is one I have tried to find some information about without success. Given how incredibly well the software handles Word and Excel files, what (if any) are the advantages of using the SoftMaker Office native file formats of *.tmd and *.pmd? If there's no major advantage I might as well just keep on defaulting to MSO formats which it does so incredibly well. If I do decide to use the native formats, then on the very rare occasion I need to share a file with an MSO user I can just save to the required format.

Thank you to anyone who could offer a thought or two on this for me. :o

Jim-J
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: File formats question

Post by Jim-J » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:41 pm

Hello,

using SoftMaker file formats give you the opportunity to use special features that only SoftMaker offers. But then the files can only be read by SoftMaker Office applications. If you want your share your files with other users that don't use SoftMaker Office, then we recommend to use MS file formats (docx, xlsx etc.).
Jim J.
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Freddie

Re: File formats question

Post by Freddie » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:31 pm

Indeed, although I've never discovered what these 'special features' actually are as all the functionality I use is saved fine under the DOC format. No doubt there are one or two little niceties buried in there somewhere...

The smaller footprint remains a welcome facet of SoftMaker - I hope this doesn't change in the next major version release

Return to “SoftMaker Office 2012 for Windows (General)”