Softmaker at its Crossroads

Post here those questions, bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker Office 2012 for Windows that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

softmaker101

Softmaker at its Crossroads

Post by softmaker101 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:03 am

The Softmaker has reached a point where its next release (Softmaker 2015) will decide whether it is going to be a significant player in Windows office software market. Until now a low-priced software with decent MS office compatibility was enough to be competitive in the office software market. But with the advent of Libreoffice and WPS Office (Kingsoft Office), unless Softmaker includes critical features that enable it to use for making complex documents, it will lose its competitive edge in Windows market. I hope in the next release developers include those useful features that users were requesting for the last several years to maintain its competitiveness.

rengab

Re: Softmaker at its Crossroads

Post by rengab » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:14 am

softmaker101 wrote:The Softmaker has reached a point where its next release (Softmaker 2015) will decide whether it is going to be a significant player in Windows office software market. Until now a low-priced software with decent MS office compatibility was enough to be competitive in the office software market. But with the advent of Libreoffice and WPS Office (Kingsoft Office), unless Softmaker includes critical features that enable it to use for making complex documents, it will lose its competitive edge in Windows market. I hope in the next release developers include those useful features that users were requesting for the last several years to maintain its competitiveness.

I think their move to the mobile market is a good direction as more devices are now in that area. In relation to this, Softmaker can leverage the better German credibility in the Web Security area by partnering with German companies to provide a more secure Web based document storage service, accessible through Softmaker Office.

Maybe Softmaker can also bundle and integrate freeware software like Irfanview, POPcorn email, Chaos Manager PIM, Miranda IM, Photoscape etc but unobstrusively and with no effect on the speed of the software.

Of course as a mostly Win2K user, I hope support for the OS stays.

Freddie

Post by Freddie » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:07 pm

It is in an interesting position. The problem with Libre Office / Apache Open Office is that they have fallen prey to the bloatware phenomenon and have consequently become a little messy. The functionality is good - but getting to it quickly isn't always easy. For the database module you also have a Java dependency. Will these two merge and become a heavyweight MS Office alternative? Some believe so.

If SoftMaker can keep things slick and lightweight while further reducing bugs and improving file compatibility, then the product will continue to occupy a unique position.

Yes, the mobile market is interesting, but there remains a place for a good, lightweight, Windows / Linux based office product. The next version may well be a watershed in this respect. It will be interesting to observe the reaction. In any event, Office 2012 remains a useful alternative office product which we have all enjoyed using.

softmaker101

Post by softmaker101 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:40 am

"The problem with Libre Office / Apache Open Office is that they have fallen prey to the bloatware phenomenon"

LibreOffice is making big strides in improvements and definitely becoming lean on memory and CPU resources, especially the 4.4 version. Unless the next version of Softmaker incorporate features such as grammar checker, ability to interact bibliography software, and better file compatibility with various graphic formats, it would not be a serious contender in windows market. For android market, it may needs compete with WPS office ...

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:07 pm

WPS Office decided for a subscription scheme. That's a dealbreaker for me.

Mercy

Post by Mercy » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:52 am

Jossi wrote:WPS Office decided for a subscription scheme. That's a dealbreaker for me.
I am happy I purchased before that went into effect. I am able to install and simply use my key for full access.

danmeek

Post by danmeek » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:38 am

One huge advantage for Softmaker Office in the legal world is that it can rather accurately read Wordperfect files, including Wordperfect for DOS files. Libreoffice cannot. WPS Office cannot. MS Office cannot, without installing a special converter. Softmaker should publicize this good feature, as many in the legal world use Wordperfect for its superior formatting control.

nord

Post by nord » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:59 pm

danmeek wrote:One huge advantage for Softmaker Office in the legal world is that it can rather accurately read Wordperfect files, including Wordperfect for DOS files. Libreoffice cannot. WPS Office cannot. MS Office cannot, without installing a special converter. Softmaker should publicize this good feature, as many in the legal world use Wordperfect for its superior formatting control.
danmeek,

Not just the legal field, but in scriptwriting, there are some who still use WordPerfect and I have already heard from a couple of guild writers that they like how Softmaker interacts with their scripts.
-- N --

Return to “SoftMaker Office 2012 for Windows (General)”