Communicating the future of Softmaker Office

Post here those questions, bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker Office 2012 for Windows that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

softmaker101

Re: Communicating the future of Softmaker Office

Post by softmaker101 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:34 am

The reality is without the ability to interact with 3rd party softwares, better compatibility to exchange documents with colleagues and co-workers, and a decent proofreading capacity (grammar, extra spacing detection, better graphics filters etc;) Softmaker would not be considered for any serious jobs. The moment Libre- or Openoffice drop the reliance on resource hungry Java, both of them become light weight and will be attractive to most Softmaker users. Softmaker has the potentials to out compete both of these office suites and even take market share from MS WORD, provided developers add critical features that are required for making complex documents.

RonB

Post by RonB » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:57 pm

romraptor wrote:I feel the need to repeat that many of us are not do not need "a plethora of new features" either. Many of the requests are compatibility issues with Microsoft Office and to be able to exchange documents with friends and colleagues is a very high priority for most users.
I agree, for me the highest priority is compatibility. I stopped using 2010 and 2012 because of compatibility issues with even simple things. I don't use the power user stuff but did upgrade from 2010 to 2012 because I was promised compatibility for a simple windows graphic many of my documents use but that capability was never included in 2012. I'll look for it again in 2015. Meanwhile I use both open office and libre office which are compatible with my documents and spread sheets.

Mercy

Post by Mercy » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:38 pm

As a user of two purchased copies of SoftMaker Office for Windows and Linux, I would dearly love to see a Roadmap as to the "General" flow the developers are planning on taking the program.

People will stick around if they feel listened to by developers and back them while the developers have time to flesh out patches, and new versions.

It seems like it would not be a difficult thing to say, yes a Grammar checker is in the works but there is no immediate date for release as of yet.

I personally have been waiting for an effective Thesaurus to be part of SoftMaker Office since I purchased, but honestly have no idea if it will ever see one.
I also would like to see the ability to Ctrl-Select non-concurrent words in a document.

Would it be too much trouble to state that an idea, or feature is:

1. Being looked at
2. Being worked on
3. Planned to be part of the software in the future
4. Not Being Considered

Please, you cannot go wrong with being in contact with your users, especially those that are willing to support you with their hard earned money.

softmaker101

Post by softmaker101 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:19 am

Amen to that!!! It is the company culture, which is something very difficulty to be changed. The story of WordPerfect shows that, it doesn't matter how good a office software is, meeting the needs of user base and communicating with them regularly are more important than just focusing on MS Office compatibility and low price.

If Softmaker wants to have a real impact in Office market, school and college students start to use it for their regular work, then once they enter into workforce, they continue to use it in office environment, which eliminate the dependability on MS Office. Unfortunately, Softmaker in its current state is not ready for this. It has the potential to be a serious MS Office contender, but executives and developers start to listen and try to implement what users need.

Patrick

Post by Patrick » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:48 pm

To be fair, I think the access to persons associated with SoftMaker on this forum is not something you see very much anywhere. And many times I have received replies to my inquiries and concerns directly from them.

However, I do get the feeling the mobile Android market is sucking up a lot of the attention of the developers. Maybe that's just because that's where the new money is now, and I can understand that.

Windows suites will stay viable, for sure, but to ignore touch for full Windows devices like the Surface, etc., seems to prove where the attention is. Tablets that run full Windows OF COURSE will be big players in companies and organizations. I don't think people are going to be using Androids for serious work like that when the company culture runs on Windows already (which most do). So when I recently heard "we'll see where the market goes" concerning touch for Windows (not RT, full Win) I felt disappointed and frustrated with that. Because if SM doesn't implement it now, then it won't be implemented for at least 2 years. That's crazy! If every developer had received a new Surface Pro 3 at SoftMaker, hell yes would they have been developing touch interface for Windows also! If I happen to be wrong, then I blame it on the lack of roadmap as mentioned before :D
Image SoftMaker Office Pro 2012 Rev. 702 User

Freddie

Post by Freddie » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:29 am

There is another factor to take into consideration when comparing with MS Office and that is the latter is very much a 'system' being increasingly entwined with SharePoint, the cloud and the MS way of working. That is fine and is something that will no doubt appeal to many corporate users under a volume licensing scenario. However, such functionality is not necessarily applicable to private users, many of whom simply want competent and reliable tools for word processing and (more occasionally perhaps) general spreadsheet / presentation tasks. In this context, SoftMaker have, I believe, an opportunity to refine and develop the existing code base to meet this requirement in a way that MS no longer cares to.
There would seem little point in trying to play catch up with MS Office as it will become increasingly difficult (and some would say irrelevant) to do so. On the other hand, consolidation of existing functionality plus some more ambitious editing tools, as many are asking for, would seem the way forward. I have no doubt that the SoftMaker team understand this and will take the suggestions made on this forum to heart.
In passing, let us acknowledge that at least we have this active forum and interchange where we can at least communicate in a meaningful way with both each other and the SoftMaker team.

seasidepb

Post by seasidepb » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:34 pm

I think the Windows 10 announcements yesterday bear out Freddie's comments, as MS seeks to consolidate its hold on the corporate market by offering seamless productivity tools across devices... even if it strikes me that there's some smoke and mirrors involved in the trumpeting of "seamless" - if you're using any cloud service for the docs you're actually working on you already have a version of seamless, and since few corporate users customize their Word UI having those things synchronised is also pretty worthless. As for the rest of us who don't want to use MS Office on ANY platform, I hope Softmaker is thinking about a touch friendly UI option for Windows use, perhaps building on what it's already achieved in its Android HD product. My guess is that Windows 10 will begin to make up some serious ground as a tablet OS, and even on a hybrid device with a touch screen it would be good to have that option, rather than struggling with a touchpad and small icons.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:18 pm

Touch screen support for Windows devices is on our agenda for the future.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Patrick

Post by Patrick » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:41 pm

Well yeah, with Windows being free for smaller/cheaper (<$250) devices, you can bet that touch will become increasingly important. Also, Windows being the mother-OS of this type of office product would make one assume touch support would be included if nothing else out of historic loyalty and indebtedness.

The higher- and lower-end Windows 10 touch devices (Surface, etc.) will become huge, there is no doubt about it. For Microsoft to not make full use of their integration capabilities would not only be unwise but groundless.

To put it this way: there is no office suite that is going to get me off Windows because it is my operating system of choice on my desktop PC and for good reason. True, due to Microsoft's stumbling of the past we had to wait a unnecessarily long time for touch devices running full Windows to catch up (whether in price or in number/market-saturation). But if you want to place your head in the sand and exclude touch for Windows, then I really suspect that personal interest/enthusiasm for certain products/OS's is what is behind the apparent reluctance to include touch functionality for Windows.

It should roll out with the final of SMO 2015. It really should. Since there is no hard release date for the final, then please go ahead and include it. Think about it. What excuse is good enough not to? There really isn't one.
Image SoftMaker Office Pro 2012 Rev. 702 User

RonB

Post by RonB » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:54 pm

I stopped using the 2012 version years ago due to compatibility problems with simple things, (see posts above). I am looking forward to 2016 public beta to see if those problems have been resolved. I like the faster loading and the tab feature of SoftMaker as well as the USB version. I'll mostly concentrate on TextMaker and PlanMaker. Note; I got great service when 2012 did not perform as promised. The cost of the program was refunded.

Return to “SoftMaker Office 2012 for Windows (General)”