Lotus Approach database to LibreOffice database

Post here those questions, bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker Office 2012 for Windows that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

Luke Drillhead

Lotus Approach database to LibreOffice database

Post by Luke Drillhead » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:11 am

I used to use Lotus Approach extensively and have numerous such databases left over from those days. Can they be converted over to LibreOffice databases?

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Lotus Approach database to LibreOffice database

Post by sven-l » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:42 pm

Which kind of databases are these "relics"? Address databases? Which file format (.dbf, .csv, ...) do they have?
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Luke Drillhead

Post by Luke Drillhead » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:47 pm

They're APR files, which are specific to Lotus Approach, I believe. Approach is still up and running on my PC even if it's an old program. It has a command to export he approach (apr) file as another format. It lists numerous choices, including DBase IV, MS Access, and text delimited.

tgindy

Post by tgindy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:10 am

[1] TextMaker uses the DBF flatfile database format with creation and editing. DataMaker, for relational databases, will incorporate a robust DBF data driver.

[2] Lotus Approach stores its data in DBF files, and uses APR files for its custom database formatting.

[3] (free) Portable Flatfile Database Programs are available: DBF Viewer Plus (for DBF) and MDB Viewer Plus (for MDB + ACCDB) are found at http://www.alexnolan.net/ -- with extensive import and export formats. Database Browser Portable (for SQL + ODBC) is found at http://portableapps.com/apps. DBF Viewer Plus can be used to create + edit stand-alone DBF databases which would be compatible with TextMaker.

[4] Do a *.DBF file search on your C:\ drive and you'll find the DBF files (and its stored data) in the existing \Lotus directories, and \SoftMaker directories. Lotus Approach DBF files are the data storage files you are looking for, and; you can then copy the DBFs to a backup directory of your choice.

RonB

Post by RonB » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:18 pm

sven-l wrote:Which kind of databases are these "relics"? Address databases? Which file format (.dbf, .csv, ...) do they have?
I still use Approach, the data base is .dbf BUT the interface is APR. I have never been able to understand other data base programs. Approach is very user friendly for novice users. I love it but it is outdated and I'm not sure it will install in win 8.1. I got it to work using win 7. When I open the .dbf file in open office or softmaker it shows up in the spread sheet.

Return to “SoftMaker Office 2012 for Windows (General)”