SoftMaker.com

English-Language Support
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:59 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:58 pm 

I have installed successfully the recently issued Windows 8 Customer Preview on my PC. After that I installed other applications as well. Unfortunately I had no success with Softmaker Office 2012. The setup file will not start. Nothing happens, there is no error report, no feedback. Any idea for possible reasons? Thanks in advance.
(NB: the same setup file had no problem with Windows XP or Windows 7).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:11 am 
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

We can confirm that there are problems with Windows 8. Currently the developers are investigating that problem. We will inform you as soon as we have an solution.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:15 pm 

Thanks sven-I!
The good news is that the portable version works.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:17 am 
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Just in case someone is reading this old thread: all Windows 8 problems have been solved a long time ago.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:54 am 

Hi.

I upgraded my Win 7 PC to Win 8 Pro by DVD. Because of a problem I had to choose to keep only personal files. When trying to reinstall Softmaker Office 2012 I encounter the same problem first mentioned above - after the UAC approval is given, nothing happens at all.

Is this a new problem, given that above it was said the previously mentioned problem had been fixed? Perhaps this should be a new thread.......

Any help or advice gratefully received.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:00 am 
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Did you use an CD or older version of the installation file? Please download the .exe file again (you will find the downloadlink in the e-mail with the serial key we sent you). If you use the new downloaded .exe file, no problems should occur anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:48 am 

On a side note, will any previous versions of Softmaker Office for Windows run on Windows 8, or will an OS upgrade necessitate an upgrade to Softmaker Office 2012 as well?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:37 am 
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

JSR wrote:
On a side note, will any previous versions of Softmaker Office for Windows run on Windows 8, or will an OS upgrade necessitate an upgrade to Softmaker Office 2012 as well?

I haven't tested it yet but I think that only the new revision of SoftMaker Office 2012 will run properly in Windows 8 if you plan to install it. If you use a USB installation, even the old Office 2008 should run in Windows 8.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:52 am 

Well, I've installed a full Win 8 Pro on my new system.
I tried to load Office 2010 and it will not load.
Seems W8 does not recognize SETUP and finds it "incompatible", and even with their work around that status remains the same.
So I cannot load my "upgrade" to Office 2012 either.
Any others with such a problem? Or workaround?
TIA,
=Len

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:06 am 

Not to be TO boring, but
I just put in the Office 2012 disc and drilled down to "backupdisc.exe" and double clicked on it, got the full AShampoo gui install and chose to install Office 2010.
It did!
And then I checked, via Explorer File system and there was a the AShampoo folder!
And it was empty, totally! So I tried again but this time to install Office 2012, and everything happened as above!
Is Chairman Bill jealous of SoftMaker?
but is there a workaround, also.
TIA,
=

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:11 pm 

I wish to thank you, SoftMaker, for responding so quickly and fixing the problem. It was clear that my installation disc was not the right one for Windows 8 however the response time from you was quicker than I ever expected! My system is up, running, and flawlessly working with AShampoo Office. As we say in California, "you guys did good" (instead of well)!
Hope the rest of your situations are that easily fixed.
=Len

LenInSebastopol wrote:
Not to be TO boring, but
I just put in the Office 2012 disc and drilled down to "backupdisc.exe" and double clicked on it, got the full AShampoo gui install and chose to install Office 2010.
It did!
And then I checked, via Explorer File system and there was a the AShampoo folder!
And it was empty, totally! So I tried again but this time to install Office 2012, and everything happened as above!
Is Chairman Bill jealous of SoftMaker?
but is there a workaround, also.
TIA,
=

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:48 pm 

I note the assurance above that any problems associated with installing Office 2012 on Windows 8 have been fixed, but I am afraid that is not altogether my experience.

When upgrading from Windows 7 (on which a licensed copy of Office was installed), I chose to reinstall from scratch, afer saving the relevant files (including the downloaded Softmaker install file, service pack file and license key). The trouble is that the install file (dated 26/11/2011) would not run, even elevated and in compatibility mode, but gave the error "unsupported operating system, major=6, version=2.2, sp=0.0, type=1".

The evaluation version installer I downloaded did work correctly, but, as far as I could see, there was no means of applying my license key to the evaluation version. This indicated that I need to download a recent full version, but I could not find the link to do this on the Softmaker Office support page. By good fortune, I had kept the confirmation email sent to be when I upgraded to Office 2012, and the download link in that email still works, and provided a working install file. As noted by others in this thread, Windows objected to the fact that the file was not digitally signed; in the Windows dialog, you have to click on the link to 'more information' in order to run the install file anyway.

I am posting this both to help others in the same situation and to ask that download links for registered users are made available on the support page. The last 24 hours have demonstrated to me that the learning curve for Windows 8 is quite steep enough without adding further frustrations to the user experience ...

David

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:33 am 
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

DavidHB wrote:
I note the assurance above that any problems associated with installing Office 2012 on Windows 8 have been fixed, but I am afraid that is not altogether my experience.

When upgrading from Windows 7 (on which a licensed copy of Office was installed), I chose to reinstall from scratch, afer saving the relevant files (including the downloaded Softmaker install file, service pack file and license key). The trouble is that the install file (dated 26/11/2011) would not run, even elevated and in compatibility mode, but gave the error "unsupported operating system, major=6, version=2.2, sp=0.0, type=1".

That's correct. The old installation file you use will not run in Windows 8. Please download the installation file again using the download link in the registration e-mail we sent you (the mail with the serial key in it). That should solve the problem.