Connection issues immediately after successful install

Post bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker eM Client Professional 4 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

trumpers

Connection issues immediately after successful install

Post by trumpers » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:51 pm

I have been having problems with Windows Live Mail ("WLM") (which is installed on both a laptop and a netbook) putting mail from my regular contacts in my junk folder for the last few months, on my laptop only, not being able to download messages since 13/12/11. I tried a few solutions on web forums (removing my hotmail account and adding it back again etc etc) to no avail.

Being a user of TextMaker and PlanMaker, I decided to install the trial version of SoftMaker eM. In the process of installing it, I provided my email address and password for each of my email providers -- hotmail.com and blueyonder.co.uk. Over the course of several hours, eM downloaded all my emails from both hotmail and blueyonder, from the earliest (received in 2004) to the latest (i.e. the time of installation of eM).

However, since then I have problems with both email services:-

Hotmail (my default) -- On clicking Send & Receive, the Operations dialogue box opens and the Errors tab says, "Connecting [username]@hotmail.com failed. [POP3] An attempt to connect to [username]@hotmail.com failed. This could be caused by temporary server unavailability or incorrect settings. Do you want to check the settings ?"

On checking the settings and clicking on Diagnose, the POP3 diagnosis was OK.

The SMTP diganosis intially reported an error and suggested Fix; using Fix resolved the problem and a test email was sent by eM and successfully received by using my internet browser to access my Hotmail account (which I usually avoid like the plague, it being irritatingly slow, screen partly taken up by adverts, inability to load an email into a new window etc), which shows that the problem is not caused by temporary server unavailability.

Blueyonder -- On clicking Send & Receive, the Operations dialogue box opens and the Errors tab says, "Server says "[AUTH] Username and password not accepted." This is strange because, as I said above, I provided my username and password when I first installed eM and it did download emails from my blueyonder account.

Please advise. If I can't get it working by the time my 30-day trial finishes in three weeks' time, I obviously won't be purchasing what otherwise looks like a good email client. (Or tell me how to get Windows Live Mail working properly ! !)

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Connection issues immediately after successful install

Post by sven-l » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:28 am

I asked the developers of the eM Client for advice and will report here as soon as I have an answer.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Connection issues immediately after successful install

Post by sven-l » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:05 pm

Here is an answer from the developers regarding your problem (is handled in ticket #4076):

---

The majority of similar issues is caused by pop3 account misconfiguration (wrong host, port, security policy or user name). So we would start by double-checking the settings anyway.
However the fact, that everything worked the day before usually point to a different issues. The errors mentioned by the user are typical for anti-virus, firewall or network related issues.

So if neither double-checking the settings, repairing the settings using diagnostics tool and restarting the computer won't work, we would like following for further analysis:
the version of client software
list of any antivirus and firewall software (even inactive) present on the computer
the network communication logs from the application

Logs can be created using following steps:
run the client application
open the settings (main menu -> Tools -> Settings)
select the "Logging" tab
clear any previous logs using the "Clear Logs" button
check the "Network communication" option (clear the others)
confirm the changes pressing "Ok" button
restart the application
send and receive emails
wait for error to appear
open again the Logging tab in Settings
send the logs using "Send Logs..." button

Optionally the encryption of POP3 can be turned off to make the logs more readable.

---
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “SoftMaker eM Client Professional 4 for Windows”