Portable

Post bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker eM Client Professional 4 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

Mike

Portable

Post by Mike » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:54 pm

I noticed that there is an option to install SoftMaker Office Professional on a USB Stick. Would such an action also include a portable eM Client on the USB stick? :?:

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Portable

Post by sven-l » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:57 am

No, the eM client does not run from an USB stick. It needs an installation.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Stevie

Post by Stevie » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:01 pm

Mine is running from a USB stick (I think). Just did an install on the PC and then transfered across to the stick using the utilities option...

Mike

Post by Mike » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:03 pm

I just tried the same thing (i.e. running the "Install on USB stick" utility). I launched the eM client successfully. We'll see if it runs okay. It would be GREAT if it did. It is a very nice piece of software but I really need portability!

Stevie

Post by Stevie » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:15 pm

There is a post on the eMClient website as well about this...http://forum.emclient.com/emclient/topi ... _usb_drive

Mike

Post by Mike » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:28 pm

I read the post about creating a "bat" file for starting eM client. However, I used the "install to USB stick" to put eM client on a portable hard drive (as I've already said). From that portable hard drive I have been launching eMclient with the "exe" file. It seems to be working fine. Am I missing something? Do I need to use the "bat" file for some reason?

esque

Post by esque » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:50 am

Mike wrote:However, I used the "install to USB stick" to put eM client on a portable hard drive (as I've already said). From that portable hard drive I have been launching eMclient with the "exe" file. It seems to be working fine. Am I missing something?
I assume you try this "portable" em Client on the same PC that you have em Client installed?
This computer already has all the registry settings etc. that em Client needs.

Try connecting the external hard drive to a different computer without an already installed em Client.
Then you'll know whether it is portable or not.

Mike

Post by Mike » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:15 pm

You are correct. In the fact that I was naively (or stupidly) optimistic. As the install settings are installed under "Users/App Data" on the local drive, even if I start the Program from my portable hard drive, it knows to look on the CPU hard drive to which it is attached. So, here's my tentative work around. (You will be able to tell that I have only a basic idea of what I'm doing.) I have SoftMaker & eMail Client installed on two Computers (lets say A & B). On Computer B (which I'm on now) I have used the utility to install the eMail Client to my attached portable hard drive. When I take this portable hard drive and later attach it to Computer A and launch eM Client from the portable drive, it looks for the settings in App Data on that computer (A). As all my new (mail & appt.) info isn't there, it just loads eMail Client blank and ready to go. Here's my plan. At the end of my day on Computer B, I use a back-up program to synch SoftMaker eMail Client App Data on that CPU to a folder on the portable hard drive. When I get to Computer A, I synch the Softmaker eMail Client App Data on the portable drive to the CPU on Computer A. Then I launch eMail Client from the portable hard drive. My hope is that when it launches it will look for the settings in the local (Computer A) App Data and find my stuff. As I'm already backing stuff up at the end of the day, this is not a big step. Will this work. You can either tell me now and burst my bubble or I will find out tonight. [-o<

Patrick

Post by Patrick » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:03 am

Mike, this may work if all emclient requires is the data in the AppData folders, but it will not take care of any registry entries and other things that may be needed. It just depends on how they built the app. If all you would be doing is running your emclient on 1 other computer, you might as well install it on that computer. If you want a truly portable option your AppData folder plan probably will not suffice.

To run this truly portable it would be possible to virtualize emclient with ThinApp or Spoon, so you can keep everything contained and truly portable. But of course doing this is a bit more intricate and you'd have to know how to do this. Not to mention have access to these programs.

I read emclient used to offer a U3 version but they stopped supporting it. But more than one person would like a portable version again as I read on their forums.
Image SoftMaker Office Pro 2012 Rev. 702 User

Mike

Post by Mike » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:36 am

Patrick,
Well, the good news (I guess) is that it did work. I hear you about the possible additional registry settings. I'm hoping that because the Program itself is installed on both computers (as well as the portable drive) that may cover any requisite registry settings. I hope! I really only need it to run between these two computers. In one of the first replies above, SoftMaker made it clear that they don't support a portable version. I understand that. I wouldn't bother with this portability thing but I really like the program. No one ever recognizes the program I was using previously, "Spicebird". It was/is a short-lived Firefox/Thunderbird clone that had a portable version. The developers quit updating a few years ago. It had a few glitches but worked adequately once I got the hang of a few work-arounds. This is where I found the portable version.
http://stadt-bremerhaven.de/portable-sp ... downloaden
As I said, its no longer being developed.
One last thing and I'll shut up. Just today I noticed "p-apps" a free (version 1.0!) program that purports to make any program portable. I am very, very wary but will check it out at:
http://www.portable-app.com/
BTW, can you tell I don't like laptops!

Patrick

Post by Patrick » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:46 am

Having just looked a little closer, I don't believe registry entries matter with this application. All that is needed is contained in AppData. So there should be no problem for you running this the way you want if both computers have the app installed. You'd just have to sync the data between computers.

It would be quite easy for eMclient to make this into a portable application from what I can see of the app. They just need to use local folders inside the program's directory for the profile data, which now write to AppData.

But I understand that this only became of interest to people here because SoftMaker Office offers the portable option with their suite, which is only natural.

Which makes me want to emphasize again how glad I am SoftMaker kept the portable feature in, because I LOVE it :) In fact, I logged in to post how pleased I am with the 2012 suite.

So I guess I should say that now: I am very pleased with the new 2012 suite, great work everyone. In my opinion it is the best alternative to MS Office out there -- and I tested them ALL. Plus, the suite has been kept small and agile (portable option is great). Keep on doing your good work, SMO's popularity will only keep growing.

Mike

Post by Mike » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:12 am

I agree. I've used SMO for a couple of years now and PREFER it to MS Office. It's not that its as good as, I actually find it better to use. I have found a few very small glitches in 2012 but much more reliable than MS Office overall. And, the eMail client is a very nice (not insignificant) addition to the package. 8)

Patrick

Post by Patrick » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:15 am

Yes, I was actually thinking of editing my post, because I also PREFER it now :)

Hey Mike, please check your PM (private message) I just sent you one. Thanks.

Return to “SoftMaker eM Client Professional 4 for Windows”