No SoftMaker eM installing in final edition

Post bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker eM Client Professional 4 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

carandol

No SoftMaker eM installing in final edition

Post by carandol » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:56 am

I've just bought SoftMaker Professional 2012. I had the free version of eM installed, so uninstalled that, ran the "uinst_smo12.exe" tool to be on the safe side in getting rid of the beta version, and installed SM2012. After putting in my serial number, I ran it, and everything works fine except that eM isn't there - its not in the Windows menu, the icon is blanked out in the TextMaker toolbar, and there's no sign of it in the SoftMaker 2012 directory in Program Files. Help!
carandol

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: No SoftMaker eM installing in final edition

Post by sven-l » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:42 am

Please download the installer again using the download link in the registration e-mail we sent you. We updated it a few hours ago. After download performa a full installation. Does that help?
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

carandol

Post by carandol » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:18 pm

No, that still doesn't work. It gets as far as "This completes the first part of the installation...", I click the Next button, the hard drive light flickers for a while, and nothing else happens. The whole of the rest of the suite is installed, but not eM.
carandol

carandol

Re: No SoftMaker eM installing in final edition - SOLVED!

Post by carandol » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:27 pm

Finally got eM Client working! I reinstalled the free version, then used the Revo Uninstaller (the Freeware version, http://www.revouninstaller.com/) to uninstall it again, using the maximum setting and deleting all the registry items it suggested. Then I uninstalled SM2012 (also with Revo, but on one down from the maximum settings), reinstalled it, and eM Client installed perfectly. I've now copied all the files out of the old eM Client folder in /apps/roaming and me email is now in the SM version, safe and sound. Phew! :D
carandol

bennachie

Post by bennachie » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:57 am

I have exactly the same problem as carandol, but the suggested workaround doesn't work for me on a Lenovo M57e running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (and nor does carrying out either a "complete" installation or a "custom" installation). However, emClient installed without any problems on my netbook running Windows XP Home. This is distinctly frustrating, and I would appreciate urgent advice as to how to address the problem. I still don't understand why two almost completely separate installations are necessary - the arrangement caused difficulties during the beta testing phase although, in fairness, I was able to install the beta version of emClient on both these machines.

Patrick

Post by Patrick » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:22 am

I suspect a lot of these problems are due to a) people having installed the betas of both products (and now the finals) b) the installation of SMO 2012 Pro basically consists out of 2 installation routines: one for SMO and one for eMClient. It is not necessarily a problem, but it adds complexity to the integration of these programs, and then across many different possible setups and install histories on thousands of PC's, yes, it may not all function 100%.

I feel two things about it. One is that people volunteering for beta testing are usually power users that can overcome problems such as these. The other is that the packaging of 2 different programs is not the ideal situation. I must say I was impressed by eMClient, so I understand SoftMaker's willingness to add it in. At the same time, I kind of feel it should have been made truly integral to the suite, and the suite as a whole then should also have supported the portable option for eMClient. You know, for 'good form.' :)

Anyway, I think (and hope) this problem does not occur at all on totally new installations (without having installed betas and such), but it would be regrettable if there were problems for already existing users of eMClient who now want to install the SMO suite + eMClient.

If you want to try to start all over, remember that SoftMaker Office saves the templates to your Documents folder. When you uninstall SMO, this folder will remain. It is quite possible that the integration/install problems stem from the data in that folder that the new install of SMO is picking up on.

So uninstall the suite, uninstall eMClient. Then remove both the AppData\Roaming\emClient folder (make sure to back this up in the case you have data in there), and also the SoftMaker folder in My Documents. Then perform several reg cleans with CCleaner and/or any reg cleaner you like. Then try again.
Image SoftMaker Office Pro 2012 Rev. 702 User

bennachie

Post by bennachie » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:52 am

@patrick

Your hopes may or may not be justified, and it seems quite likely that the initial group of users includes a disproportionate number of people who have been beta testers. However, I have removed every file that I could find that might have had a connection, however remote, with 2010 or 2012 (beta or final), including those you mentioned, and tried every option available in the installer (including a separate "emClient-only" installation which simply deleted the mainstream components, and failed to install emClient). Apart from the different behaviour under XP and Windows 7 (both machines were used for testing 2012-beta, including emClient), there may be a clue in the fact that installing the trial version of 2012 Final appears to make a later emClient installation possible. I'll try that next. I had understood from other threads on the forum that the trial version is an earlier build than the definitive paid-for version.

bennachie

Post by bennachie » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:10 pm

The current trial version of 2012 behaves in exactly the same way as the paid version for me. In both cases, when using Windows 7, the link between the two installers (the one for the standard SoftMaker components and the one for emClient) fails, and emClient is not installed. When using Windows XP, the link works, and the second installer is launched as expected. I don't really see how this behaviour can be related to minor traces remaining after previous systems (2010 or 2012 beta) have been uninstalled, but suppose that anything is possible.

YMMV.

Patrick

Post by Patrick » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:33 pm

For people stuck with this issue, perhaps SoftMaker can provide them the standalone eMClient .msi installer (via download), which seems to bypass this issue. It would be even better if it was fixed completely in the installer itself, but for people stuck it might be a solution to run the eMClient .msi (that is inside the SMO2010 installer) by itself, as this seems to help for some people.

EDIT: the eMClient .msi is inside the smo2012 installer but most people will not know how to get it out of there, is why I suggested the above. In some cases running this .msi installer by itself fixes the problem.
Last edited by Patrick on Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image SoftMaker Office Pro 2012 Rev. 702 User

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:36 pm

Could you please check out the instructions I just posted here: http://www.softmaker.com/english/tipsem_en.htm (read the yellow box) and let me know if the procedure described there solves the problem?
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

bennachie

Post by bennachie » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:11 pm

Patrick's solution worked perfectly for me, so I am no longer in a position to test your suggestion. I do think that the current "two-phase" installer is a clumsy lash-up, and should be replaced by a properly integrated solution as soon as possible.

Return to “SoftMaker eM Client Professional 4 for Windows”