How to change charset

Post bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker eM Client Professional 4 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

Kea

How to change charset

Postby Kea » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:54 pm

I need to change charset from "utf-8" to "iso-8859-1". How and where?

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: How to change charset

Postby martin-k » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:55 am

I don't think you can do this in eM Client. Why do you want to do this?
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Kea

Postby Kea » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:08 pm

Because iso-8859-1 is the standard encoding in Sweden. The Swedish language has three special characthers - å, ä and ö. Those shows up correct if the receiver has almost any email client but Microsoft Outlook. In Outlook they just disappear. A sentence like "månen är röd" is transformed to "m nen r r d".

Since 1999 I've been using Courier, Pocomail, and Barca Pro 2 and before that Outlook Express. Now I tested a long array of email clients, such as Postbox, Thunderbird, Dreammail, Pegasus, and Sylpheed, and each and everyone can use iso-8859-1 - most of them do it automatically. Sylpheed and eM Client can easily import eml-files. But I liked eM Client and that client was a reason to upgrade from Softmaker Office 2010 to 2012.

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Postby martin-k » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:12 pm

UTF-8 contains a superset of ISO-8859-1 and definitely includes all Swedish characters. It even includes all the Sami characters, if you care about this...

Do you know of e-mail clients that cannot handle UTF-8? That would be the only reason not to send UTF-8 e-mails these days.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Kea

Postby Kea » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:08 am

I have an explanation from one of the members in my support list (I'll try to translate to English, but I understand English much better than I write it):

"I found out why utf-8 mail don't show up correctly in my Outlook. Outlook saves all mail in one common PST-file. The file format was changed from Outlook 2003.

It is still possible to use the old format, but it can't handle utf-8. I've been using Outlook since long before version 2003. It has never before posed any problems, so I went on with the old PST-file in the newer versions. I'll fix that."

The problem, as I see it, shows up when I send a mail from eM Client (utf-8). That mail shows all Swedish characters correct, in all email clients, even in the Outlook version with wrong PST-file format that my member uses. But when he answers, and includes a quotation from my mail, all Swedish special characters disappear. Very frustrating!

So - if utf-8 is standard even in little Sweden (I really liked the comment on Sami), and I think that you know much more than I about this, then I'll happily change from Barca Pro 2 to eM Client. Thanks.

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Postby martin-k » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:05 am

Amazing. Based on your reply, I did a web search on Outlook and UTF-8, and it indeed seems that Outlook versions before 2002 did not support UTF-8. And, you are correct in that, if you have old PST files and use them with Outlook 2003 (or 2007 or 2010, for that matter), then even these modern versions of Outlook will fail with UTF-8.

I will ask the developers if there is a way to force ISO-8859-1.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Kea

Postby Kea » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:52 am

Thank you!

I tried to change in the XML file (settings.xml) from encoding="utf-8" to encoding="iso-8859-1", but that was not the key to the desired effect.

In Sweden we had a minister of finance (1955–1976) that always used both belt and braces. I think utf-8/iso-8859-1 calls for a "belt-and-braces policy". It is, I believe, easier to change eM Client than to force "old Outlook users" to change to newer versions.

Jossi

Postby Jossi » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:16 pm

OT: "How can you trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?" said Henry Fonda in "Once Upon A Time In The West" before he shot him.

Return to “SoftMaker eM Client Professional 4 for Windows”