Review of emClient

Post bug reports and suggestions here for SoftMaker eM Client 3.5 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

randymon

Review of emClient

Postby randymon » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:30 pm

Notes on eMClient: First and most importantly, I thought it was a great piece of software, and running it next to MS Office 2010 showed how much cleaner, faster, and easier-to-use it was - kudos. My only fear is that you won't release a version for Linux. Linux user here, and that OS desperately needs an emailer like emClient (Kmail, Evolution, Balsa, Thunderbird all pale in comparison).

1. Needs integration with other apps: Textmaker's "send" dialog should probably use eMClient, which means somewhere in options should be a choice of default email software (the previous mechanism could be called "Textmaker quick send" and the user could choose between that mechanism and eMClient to send textmaker docs currently being edited).

2. Softmaker Office makes wonderful use of keyboard shortcuts throughout the interface (I love this). eMClient does not do so quite as thoroughly - there is an occasional item only selectable by click.

3. Personal preferences/feature requests: eMClient should include the X-Mailer header, so it can get some credit and kudos! I personally love seeing what other people use to send their mail. More importantly, a threaded (MS calls it "conversation" view) ought to be prioritized. A lot of people rely like this, including me. Kmail seems to have better facilities for using mailing lists (assigning addresses to a folder, for example), but that's not as important to me as being able to thread messages (Mutt user here).

4. Things I liked: the fast/efficient interface (it's about 10x faster than Outlook '10), the "check" that happens after improper shutdown, the sidebar, and the overall look. The "Communications history," the preview of other messages shown in the sidebar, the quick attachment preview, the accuweather feature and its use in the calendar, all very cool. "Save a draft" functionality works well, unlike many other programs. I like the way the list of messages collapses down to two lines per message when you reduce the size of the window - very smart. The categorization seems to work fast and well.

5. Oddly, "Copy" does not seem to work. I select a bit of text, copy it, and then find out when I try to paste there is nothing in the buffer!

6. I'm not sure if I like the "widgets" feature or not, but it works great for an RSS feed. I suppose I'd prefer a more full-featured RSS reader, but I am NOT proposing that feature for eMClient. Maybe others like these widgets more than I do.

7. The address book desperately needs to support LDAP directories as well. Thunderbird, Evolution, Kmail, and others all provide this support, and I think it wouldn't be hard to code in. I think it's more common than CardDAV, personally.

8. It would be useful if the Task list permitted you to create "sub tasks," which I find useful.

Nice piece of software and a nice complement to the rest of the suite. I'll buy a Linux version as soon as you produce one! (please, please, please).

JohnbCallander

Re: Review of emClient

Postby JohnbCallander » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:18 pm

Useful contribution thanks especially comparisons, and the idea of a Linux version for eM. I have been struggling with kmail today on updated eeepc 701 with easy peasy version of OS and would l loved to have this instead. I have been using eM for about a month and agree wholeheartedly with sub tasks and ideally drag an drop onto another task but if only Google would let them sync properly life would look good.

Thanks again - well worth reading. :D

JohnbCallander

Postby JohnbCallander » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:19 pm

Useful contribution thanks especially comparisons, and the idea of a Linux version for eM. I have been struggling with kmail today on updated eeepc 701 with easy peasy version of OS and would l loved to have this instead. I have been using eM for about a month and agree wholeheartedly with sub tasks and ideally drag an drop onto another task but if only Google would let them sync properly life would look good.

Thanks again - well worth reading. :D

josephrot
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Postby josephrot » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:26 pm

Great reading, Randy...

Well conceived ideas, indeed...

and just maybe, SM HQ will place some or most of them into the product, maybe before it ships...or very soon thereafter as an Update.

Joe
Skype joerotello / Win7 Pro 64bit | Intel Multi Core i5 3.46gHz | 8GB DDR3 | 1GB Nvidia GTX-650SP @ 1152x864 | ASUS | SoftMaker Office 2016 user / EZGenerator 4 web-tool user / Serif PagePlus X8 User

Return to “Beta: SoftMaker eM Client for Windows”