Disappointed by eMclient

Post bug reports and suggestions here for the beta version of SoftMaker 2012 for Windows that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

Neil_Parks

Disappointed by eMclient

Post by Neil_Parks » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:54 am

I tried the standalone version of eMclient a few days ago, before it was added to the SoftMaker beta.

I found it disappointing. It offered to import my accounts from Thunderbird, but it failed to do so. I saw a cryptic error message saying that an Exception was thrown by SafeInvoke.

So I installed without importing. The user interface is butt ugly. It looks like a bad imitation of Microsloth Outhouse.

Why would I want to use this instead of tried-and-true Thunderbird?
"Program in haste; debug at leisure."

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Disappointed by eMclient

Post by sven-l » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:43 am

We informed the developers of eM Client to solve that problem.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

steve4cello

Re: Disappointed by eMclient

Post by steve4cello » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:35 pm

On the other hand - Since Thunderbird started a new policy last summer of automatic major updates occurring about once a month, many of the extensions & plug-ins are no longer compatible, and most especially it seems to have a horrible clash with some anti-virus software, (mine is currently Bullguard 12, but I think it's been reported with other AV programs too) and the AV vendors can't keep up with the TB changes. One effect of this was causing some corruption to my inbox which still isn't resolved. That's why I was interested in trying eM Client. Using the installation supplied with SoftMaker Office Beta, I was able to successfully migrate all 13 of our various family email accounts (4 gmail accounts & the rest from a variety of other suppliers) with a backlog of 44,000 old emails into eM Client with no problem at all. I'm finding Thunderbird is getting too clunky & bloated for us (although it might be OK for someone with fewer accounts & smaller email traffic) and eM Client so far is much faster & easier (apart from the possible 'Tasks' bug that I reported in a separate thread).

Return to “General”