Problems with Inserting and Deleting Columns

Post bug reports and suggestions here for the beta version of PlanMaker 2012 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

bennachie

Problems with Inserting and Deleting Columns

Post by bennachie » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:02 am

I have run into an unexpected problem when seeking to extend a moderately large spreadsheet which had been imported from Office 2010. In order to maintain a logical layout, I inserted three new columns in the "working" (as opposed to "data entry") section of a particular worksheet. The result can only be described as chaotic, since SOME (by no means all, and I could discern no systematic pattern) references in both directions across the new, and still blank, columns were broken. I backed off, naturally, returned to the original version of the spreadsheet, and used empty columns to the right of all the existing "working" columns for my intended purpose. This is visually untidy, but the extra formulae are working just fine.

The problem came as a real surprise, since Beta2 has really been working very well, apart from sporadic instances - again generally triggered by formatting actions - in which everything seems to hang for a few moments for no obvious reason. Obviously, I don't mind the few seconds delay while automatic saving is in process, and that is not the issue to which I am referring.

I realise that this is not a particularly useful bug report. However, I've as yet had virtually no feedback on my earlier responses, and am a bit reluctant to put much more effort into investigating the causative factors if no developers are reading the forum. Perhaps Softmaker should establish a proper bug-reporting mechanism if they have any serious intention of addressing feedback from beta testing?

bennachie

Re: Problems with Inserting and Deleting Columns

Post by bennachie » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:46 am

Just for the record (although I still have no evidence that anyone is listening) this problem can easily be reproduced in the so-called "final beta".

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:46 am

Does that happen with every file or just with specific ones? Can you please send us an example file to forum(at)softmkaker.de? Thank you!
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

bennachie

Post by bennachie » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:21 pm

I can't really answer that question, having only tested a handful of examples. However, the problem does not seem to arise with small worksheets, but can be reproduced in larger ones (note that the problem does appear to rest with the size of the individual worksheet rather than that of the overall spreadsheet - smaller worksheets in the same spreadsheet are not affected). I think that the problem may arise from some kind of cache or buffer overflow rather than from any inherent fault with the underlying logic of the "insert cells" operation.

You could probably demonstrate the effect anywhere in the right-hand half of the "Sales" worksheet of the spreadsheet that I have already sent you.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:07 am

We will inform the developers.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “Beta: PlanMaker 2012 for Windows”