Accounting formats

Post bug reports and suggestions here for the beta version of PlanMaker 2012 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

bennachie

Accounting formats

Post by bennachie » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:32 am

Back in November 2010, Martin Kotulla wrote in these forums that:

"Support for accounting format, along with full support for custom Excel formats, has already been completed in the source code for the next version of SoftMaker Office. There is however no good way for us to backport this to SoftMaker Office 2010 (much has changed internally in PlanMaker). We are still looking at somehow making it available before the next Office but haven't come up with a good solution yet."

The accounting format in question was that commonly used in English-speaking countries, including the UK, US and Australia, by which negative amounts can be presented in brackets (and, if you wish, in red type). That's easy to achieve in both Excel and LibreOffice. However, I can't find the relevant option in the Beta version of PlanMaker 2012. Can we be assured it will, as promised, be present and correct in the released version?

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Accounting formats

Post by sven-l » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:57 am

Accounting format is implemented in PlanMaker 2012 but the developers need to improve the handling as it is not working properly now.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

bennachie

Post by bennachie » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:35 am

Yes, I noted the accounting option in the "format cells" menu, but it is still not working correctly in Beta 2. Basically, apart from lining up decimal points, it seems to be little more than a "placeholder" at this stage.

bennachie

Post by bennachie » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:58 pm

My last post may have confused this important issue a little. The normal Excel 2010 behaviour is that, in order to have "negative currency amounts in brackets" appear as an option in the formatting dialogue, you must first choose the "Additional Settings" option in the "Region and Language" control panel, click on the "Currency" tab, and select that as your preferred format. The resultant regional setting is respected by Excel 2010, but not yet (as of Beta3) by Planmaker.

It would have made perfectly good sense for Planmaker to offer an appropriate option under the Accounting format, independent of the "regional currency" setting, rather than exactly replicating the Excel 2010 behaviour (after all, a similar approach was used in earlier versions of Excel). That intuitively looks simpler to implement, and I had therefore assumed that this was your preferred course of action. No doubt further advice will eventually be forthcoming.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:41 am

Accounting format is now implemented correctly and will be available in the final version.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

bennachie

Post by bennachie » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:49 am

Thanks, Sven, that's good to know. Just out of curiosity, can you tell us whether the feature will operate exactly as in Excel (with the application using the external location settings as the primary basis for determining whether the option will be offered)? In practice, I doubt that anyone here will be much concerned about which mechanism has been chosen, provided that the feature works properly!

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:30 pm

We retrieve the format string for negative currency values from the Windows Control Panel. If it contains parentheses, Accounting and Currency formats use parentheses. Just like Excel does.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

bennachie

Post by bennachie » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:18 am

Thanks, Martin, that's great. My congratulations to the team.

Return to “Beta: PlanMaker 2012 for Windows”