Saving and Converting Spreadsheets

Post bug reports and suggestions here for the beta version of PlanMaker 2012 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

bennachie

Saving and Converting Spreadsheets

Post by bennachie » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:19 am

Saving a moderately large spreadsheet in XLSX format is VERY slow (considerably slower than doing the same thing in LibreOffice, which is no speed demon). Saving the same spreadsheet in PMD format is admirably quick, but the resultant document is about six times as large as its XLSX counterpart (and ten times as large as ODS). In fairness, that is about the same size as the corresponding XLS document, but neither PMD nor XLS would be the format of choice where documents are going to be transmitted by email.

I did hit one problem when I then tried to use Excel 2010 to read the saved XLSX document. Excel advised me that the document was corrupt, some data would be lost, and offered to repair the file. I accepted the offer (obviously I trusted the source) and a copy of the log file is attached. The repaired document was, in fact, pretty much intact. So far as I could determine, the only "formula" that had actually been removed was the tick in a box in a conditional formatting dialogue requiring that processing of the relevant conditions stop when a match is achieved. As a result, some data items that should have appeared in bold type actually appeared in regular type. That's not a bad performance at all in my view. However, less experienced users might not agree, and XLSX (or ODS) are now normal formats to use for document interchange purposes.
Attachments
error035320_01.pdf
(46.84 KiB) Downloaded 315 times

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Saving and Converting Spreadsheets

Post by sven-l » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:04 am

Can you please send us the xlsx file to forum(at)softmaker.de? Thank you!
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

bennachie

Post by bennachie » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:27 am

The document contains real data, including numerous names and contact details. Can you assure me that the document will be used only by the development team for diagnostic purposes, and all copies will be deleted as soon as those purposes have been served?

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:55 am

Yes, we will use these data only for internal testing and delete the file as soon as the bug has been solved.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

bennachie

Post by bennachie » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:44 am

Despite starting this thread, I have only just tried the obvious experiment of saving a PlanMaker ("Final" Beta) document in XLSX format, exiting and relaunching PlanMaker, and trying to open the XLSX document again. While Excel 2010 makes a fair fist of the job, PlanMaker fails entirely! This has to be a release blocker - no responsible company should try to sell a program that can't even open a file which it has created.

The developers should be able to replicate this problem using the spreadsheet that I have already sent you.

Return to “Beta: PlanMaker 2012 for Windows”