Picture Frame: Move with text - it should MOVE!

Post bug reports and suggestions here for the beta version of TextMaker 2012 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

David.Boettcher

Picture Frame: Move with text - it should MOVE!

Post by David.Boettcher » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:39 pm

First I want to start by saying that the document content outline window in Textmaker 2012 is marvellous! I don't know if it was in 2010, but if it was I never found it. But now I find this feature invaluable for quickly navigating about in a document.

However, I have a grumble about positioning of picture frames, specifically the "Move with text" option. I have looked at this before, but I didn't really understand how it worked and pictures seemed to jump around at random. I am now working on a document with a lot of pictures and I really need this function.

But it doesn't work!!!!

I have lots of pictures anchored to the text that they illustrate, but when I change the text they don't move. I discovered that it is only if the text to which they are anchored moves from one page to the next is the picture moved. This isn't really "move with text" at all! If I have a paragraph and picture anchored to it at the top of the page, I can insert nearly a full page of text before the picture moves, and if it is not quite a full page which I insert, then the picture doesn't move - it stays at the top and its paragraph is at the bottom!

Please could it be changed so that the picture really DOES move with the text?

Regards - David

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Re: Picture Frame: Move with text - it should MOVE!

Post by Jossi » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:08 pm

I have to admit this function can be more than a bit confusing. It is not sufficient to choose "Move with text" and "Fix to paragraph" in object properties. You must also set the position (at least the vertical position) "Relative to Paragraph". Then it works as desired.

Note to SoftMaker: I have never understood why it is possible at all to combine "Move with text" and "Fix to praragraph" with a vertical position "Relative to Page". This combination is contradictory and inevitably confuses less experienced users. I suspect it's a relict from the times when moving frames were introduced (in the beginning, TextMaker had only frames fixed to a page) and this was done somewhat inconsistently. In general, I don't advocate automatical changes, but when "Fix to paragraph" is selected, the position should change automatically to "Relative to paragraph".

P.S. After rethinking, I have found a possible use of this combination: If you want a picture frame to wander with the text, but to appear always on top of page (for example), this would be what you need. But this is an extremely rare case, so it shouldn't be the default (at present, the default is always "Position relative to page", even if "Fix to paragraph" is selected).
As far as I see, there are only two common cases in everyday use: frames with a fixed position on a fixed page and frames attached to a paragraph and wandering with the text. So I plead for changing the position of a new frame by default to "Relative to page" when "Fix to page" is selected and "Relative to paragraph" when "Fix to paragraph" is selected. Users who need a different combination of properties can change this manually, but as it is now, you always have to change the position manually when you need the usual case of a picture frame wandering with a paragraoph. This is not very user-friendly.

David.Boettcher

Post by David.Boettcher » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:23 am

Jossi wrote:Note to SoftMaker: I have never understood why it is possible at all to combine "Move with text" and "Fix to praragraph" with a vertical position "Relative to Page". This combination is contradictory and inevitably confuses less experienced users. I suspect it's a relict from the times when moving frames were introduced (in the beginning, TextMaker had only frames fixed to a page) and this was done somewhat inconsistently. In general, I don't advocate automatical changes, but when "Fix to paragraph" is selected, the position should change automatically to "Relative to paragraph".
Dear Jossi,

Thank you for your explanation of how to get this function to work as expected.

Note to Softmaker: It is not enough to provide a certain functionality, it should also work as the user expects - this is ergonomics, and it is a vital part of the man-machine interface. Your developers need to pat attention to ergonomics as well as pure functionality.

Regards - David

David.Boettcher

Post by David.Boettcher » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:15 pm

Jossi wrote:I have to admit this function can be more than a bit confusing. It is not sufficient to choose "Move with text" and "Fix to paragraph" in object properties. You must also set the position (at least the vertical position) "Relative to Paragraph".
Heeeyyy!!! Great news! Choosing "Move with text" and "Fix to paragraph" and setting the vertical position to "Relative to Paragraph" works, what a relief.

But what a pita to set up . . .

Regards - David

JohnbCallander

Post by JohnbCallander » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:31 pm

=D> I believe this is a insightful conversation that explains part of the trouble I have been expereincing in trying to produce a PDF fillable form. Using 645.1025 and the public beta before that. I have got into all sorts of difficulties with the Button boxes when converting to PDF. Worse still whilst it all looked fine in Textmaker, if I dared to open it in Word 2007 it caused all sorts of malformation and even though I did not save it - it then did not open properly in Textmaker again. Does anybody else think that this frame position issue is a likely cause? I gave up in the end and produced in PagePlus 5 :-({|=

Return to “Beta: TextMaker 2012 for Windows”